1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wide tire question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by DaveFxst, Jun 5, 2007.

1. DaveFxst

DaveFxst New Member

Have not posted for a while so I don't know if this has been covered already. Other than cosmetics, is there any practical reason to go with a wider tire on my 2001 FXST? I'm not talking about superwide 10" monsters on show bikes, but going to the nomonally wider tire on the 2007 HD models. I got to ride a friend's new softtail, and I didn't really feel much of a handling difference.

Opinions?
  2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

cosmetic

the way i understand it they are purely cosmetic unless your're into drag-racing.
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Skull hit it on the head, sheer looks and that's about it. Mine looks cool as hell, or at least I think so. :D
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

as a rule, the wider the rear tire, the worse the bike handles in turns....straight lines handling is nearly the same, but the corners can make ya pucker on the seat.....
  5. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

What Chuck said, except that once you get used to it, you can get the bike to turn just fine. It just takes more effort to do so.
  6. DaveFxst

DaveFxst New Member

Thanks for feedback

Thanks, guys. I'll stick with the present configuration and use the money for gas. Ever think it would cost over $15 to fill your bike?