1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

wide tire

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dobe40, Dec 21, 2005.

1. dobe40

dobe40 New Member

have 2004 softail with factory 150 tire. local harley shop says can't convert to 200 rear tire like 06's without extensive mods ($4000+). harley shop 2 hours away says they"ll do it for $1500 and it's a no brainer conversion, no swingarm, pulleys, etc. my bike has already had the struts removed and lowered. also have removed factory bob-tail fender and replace with wider, shorty. can anyone tell me if this can be done without addditional "kits" to be purchased? any pros or cons as far as doing this? i really want the wide tire look for my bike.
  2. RocketCityRider

RocketCityRider New Member

$1500???

If that shop said they would do the wide tire conversion for $1500 out-the-door I would definately take them up on it. In fact, I could take mine there too. I was under the impression from my dealer that it would be mega-bucks.

-RCR
  3. bikerjim1

bikerjim1 Moderator

Jeez! Sign me up for this. Gotta let us know how this thing goes. I'm really curious as to how they'll pull it off. Keep us posted dude!
  4. dobe40

dobe40 New Member

wide tire continued

Dropped Bike off yesterday to Northshore Harley in Slidell, LA. Spoke to service manager and all is a go. I am swapping to 17" or 18" ( my choice) with 200 tire. Service mgr is going to Harely Parts meeting 2/23/2006 and assures me there will be even more wheel/tire choices next week. I live 3 hours from Northshore but their service is worth the drive. Only mod is to remove lower factory plastic piece on front of swing arm and they have to cut a small sguare out of lower belt guard. My bike has a 8.5" wide rear fender and wider strut already. It was HeartlandUSA conversion and cost just less than $1800 so I am not goin in to this with just a stock bike. If I were starting from scratch with stock 04 Softail the conversion, wheel, tire, labor would actually be around $2500 not the $1600 I talked about earlier. Still worth it in my book, the 200's I looked at on the other Bikes yesterday were sweet! I'll check this sight again when I'm done and gladly share info with anyone interested.