1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wide tires

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by DaveFxst, Aug 30, 2005.

1. DaveFxst

DaveFxst New Member

As noted in this forum, the '06 FXST line will have 200 mm rear tires vs the old 150 mm. At Laconia this year I saw some massive rubber on some Jesse James custom bikes. In fact just about every custom bike exhibitor there had gone with this format. Other than appearance, is there a functional reason for going to a wider tire? I understand the obvious applications for a drag bike, but is there any advantage for a street bike? Logic indicates more expensive tire replacement and a loss of gas mileage due to increased friction and unsprung weight. Is there an offset in stability and traction control? Cornering? Just wondering what the intended payoff is.
  2. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Well there would be a larger contact patch for a little more traction...other than that, I can think of no benefits of oversized rubber.

As I've heard it, anything over 230mm doesn't handle well. I personally wouldn't go over 200mm...That way it will look and handle good. I have modified my bike to run a 150mm rear tire...more for traction and load bearing than any looks. You can't really see a baggers rear tire anyway...especially when outfitted with a mud flap like mine is.
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

A while back I had asked for help on how to get a wider tire on a 98 FLHRCI. I got back some answers but I never felt comfortable with any of them, such as adding washers to the inside of the pulley to offset it. It did get me thinking and after I researched the Dunlop website I got to understand the measurements. I measured my stock tire clearance and it looked like I had enough to fit the new MU85 Dunlop that HD offers on the new bikes. 3 different HD dealers gave me 3 different reasons why it wouldn't fit. None of them made any sense. I spent the money and put the MU85 on myself and after the last 3,500 miles I'd say I haven't had one bit of rubbing. I fit perfectly and looks a lot better.

Getting to the point .... the ride is 100% better also. Especially when I ride over groves that go along the lanes. The bike doesn't wobble nearly as much as it did with the old MU90. I needed that for the lane splitting I do every day here in LA. The tire tread is deeper also.

There.... my .02 for ya'll
    PS I think the MU85 is equivalent to a 143 mm.