1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wider Tire for a Road King?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AllWrappedUp, Jul 13, 2006.

1. AllWrappedUp

AllWrappedUp New Member

Hey Guys, this my first post...I have a question...I have a 97 RK, it has the stock 130 or 140 tire on it now (rear)...my brother in law says there is a company who makes a narrower belt and pulley for the bike so that I may be able to get a little fatter (up to a 160-170) on it...of course there are high dollar swingarm deals etc, but I don't want to go that route...any suggestions?

Peace, Through Superior Firepower!
    Eric
    The Wrap King
  2. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Welcome AllWrappedUp, Are you happy with an 140 tire? If so, you can save yourself some money, and stay with what you got …Or, a thinner belt will be ok, as long as your not putting out to much horse-power. Or, You can go with a chains drive, you will have a much bigger/better final gear selection and will be thinner than any belt…
    Of coarse, as you know, there is the different swing arm/frame route.

What it all boils down to is,,, What do you want to do.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I put the new HD stock tire on my 98. It's the MU85 which is the 140mm. I like this tire a lot better than the MT90 which was about a 133mm.

The stealership would not install the new MT85 in my 98. I thought this was strange so I had to go to a bike tire shop and bring him the wheel myself.

Anyway I did not have to do any modifying and it doesn't rub at all and looks a lot better.

I think you may get rubbing inside the fender if you go too fat and too low. Better watch out for this.

I did not find anything for baggers to widen the rear tire unless your ready to do extensive work.

Good luck and let us know what parts you find.
  4. LawnMower

LawnMower New Member

i have a 97 rk as well and i just ordered a metz me880 140/90/16 for mine and it should put a little more rubber on the road with no adjustments or grinding needed. good luck.. ps love yer vinyl.
    Lawnmower