1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wild Thing Cams

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Breeze, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Breeze

Breeze New Member

I see lots of cam talk here and in other forums. S&S, Andrews, and SE names come up a lot but rarely is there a mention of the Kuryakyn Wild Thing cams. Their TC-1 and TC-2 cams both give a pretty healthy boost to tq and hp to stock TCs according to the dyno charts on the Kurakyn website. Has anybody out there given them a go?
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Several people run them over on HTT, lots of WT builds some with Mike Rowlands heads, they are all healthy builds,

The difference is in the intake and exhaust, the intake has a different lift and or duration so they are not like most HD cams where you find symetrical grinds such as:

570 intake 570 exh cams.

A wild things would be different

560 intake 498 Exh (these are not actual numbers just an example)
  3. Breeze

Breeze New Member

Which HTT

HRK,

I check out several forums (Bike Talk being the best of course) on a regular basis. There are severall HTTs out there...

I like what I see with the WT cams. Torque comes in fairly early and has broad range. Supposedly in 90s on tq by their dyno shots with stock heads and compression and even better if you bump the compression a little. The timing and overlap is not as radical as some cams and supposed to give smooth idle (not that I wouldn't like some lope at idle) I'm not looking for more top end, 110+ for a stock FXST is good for me. I would like to see the 110 as quick as possible :rolleyes: while keeping a relatively mild build.
  4. hotroadking

Breeze

My favorite cams are by bobby woods.

Some are noisy, some are not, I think it's more of the setup than the cams as I have w-9b in an evo 113 that is dead on quiet.

You might talk with Bobby Wood Performance Carburetors - High Performance Harley Carbs and Cams about what you have, and where you want to go.

Andrews cams make good power but are a bit softer, SNS are good and streetable and make good power, woods cams are some of the best when it comes to getting the numbers but you will have to raise compression.
  5. Breeze

Breeze New Member

I've been looking at Woods too. They show a dyno run for a TW6 in a TC88 with no headwork that looks good. Their other cams are hi-lift and would have to change out springs + crank up the compression. Clearance issues to consider... I'm trying to keep it simple. I don't mind the cam change and would probably do the Fueling pump and cam plate change but that is about as far as I want to go with it. I've seen a little discussion about Head Quarters cams but they are totally foreign to me. I'll take a look at them if they show dyno runs for comparison.
  6. hotroadking

The HQ cams are good, Uglydougly on HTT I think runs them or has something to do with HQ.

Under 510 you should be fine, later model 96 inch cases 06 and up have more room in the case, we put 640 lift cams in a 103 and had room to spare (ok not a lot) but HD has more room in the cases now.

Valve springs are another issue.
  7. Breeze

Breeze New Member

The .510 lift or that ballpark seemed to be pretty common to all the bolt-ins so I guessed it was safe. I think I can be happy with around 90ft-lbs tq... well for a few days at least. When I win powerball it will be balls to the wall! :rocket_bike: