1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

windshield? '04 wideglide

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by RickWG, Jun 21, 2004.

1. RickWG

RickWG New Member

Got my bike finally. Been waiting since I was 3 years old (or it seems like it..)
    Sweet Black '04 Wide Glide. Already has "most" of the chrome I want (handgrips/controls, and forward controls/pegs not included) and the pipes, high flow air, efi chip are going on at 1000mi. Sweet. Waited a long time for the job that allowed me to get this bike. I have one question though.
    At around 70 mph I get pretty buffeted by the wind. Would a detachable windshield take care of this? I also plan on a few long distance trips (who doesn't?) and would like to ride in a "little" more comfort if possible.

I've talked to my neighbor who seems to think the windshield will help. He also says to get a smaller helmet...I got a dot approved half. He says to get a "thinner" helmet (Non DOT) and the buffetting will be less. I don't want to do that as I've invested enough in my brain that I want to keep it a while longer.

Thoughts?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

A windshield will help, there are some aftermarket shields available, or HD has one.

You'll still get some buffetting, best bet is a tight fitting helmet or no helmet LOL
  3. RickWG

RickWG New Member

Thanks

The helmet is tight as I could get without squishin brains out or being uncomfortable. Another poster on another forum suggested I take off the visor on my helmet. I'm gonna look into the windscreen too. Thanks again.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep you can take the visor off, won't hurt a bit.

Here is a great aftermarket shield company, makes nice product, some cool stuff color wise and they are smaller than HD>

Memphis Shades
  5. RickWG

RickWG New Member

Thanks !

Thanks HotRoadKing.
  6. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

02 wide glide windshield setup

I put a Memphis Shade 15w by 13hgt. on mine.
    I can put my hand on the tank and light a lighter. It definitely work. The buffeting is simply the air going around you AT 70!! When you put on a windshield the long trips just work the angle till the wind is going over you and not simply cathing your helmet. I wear a half helemt also when I gotta.. by law... and never have a problem once the windshield was properly angled 80 all the way to Fla. and no where the fatigue that I would have had without one.
  7. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    Windshield Or No Windshield

I am a big fan of the WINDVEST it takes nothing away from the looks of my bike. It comes in a few sizes and colors. Take a look into them. Talk to people who ride with them. I love my rides with my WINDVEST and SADDLEBAGS..... For all my bros who take rides without either. Don't ask me to carry your jacket or any other crap you buy. Bring some bungees with you so you can bungee to your own bike. REMEMBER 9-11-01
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a windscreen will help...and removing the visor......i have a nearly new hd detachable if you are headed in that direction.......:)
  9. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Definetly pull the visor off. I have a HD detachable windshield on my '04 Wide Glide and like it just fine. I have no experience with the other types mentioned. There's every chance they are as good or better. Ofcourse a slightly used one will save ya some bucks !
  10. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    TAKE A LOOK AT THE WINDVEST. I LOVE MINE AND IT TAKES NOTHING AWAY FROM THE LOOKS OF MY FXR