1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Windshield issues

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by datbone, May 15, 2009.

1. datbone

datbone New Member

I have a '05 FXDL that I've put a HD quick attach compact standard size windshield on. It buffets so much it blurs my vision and gives me a splitting headache. There is no way to adjust it so all I can do is put on a different size shield or replace it with something else. The dealer says a shorter shield will help but I have my doubts. This one hits me at about the height of the tip of my nose. I think a lot of the air is coming under and around not over the shield, that is causing my problem. I was considering selling this one and buying a WindVest but didn't know if I could possibly have the same issue with it. I know it is more adjustable. I've read a fair amount of discussion on this topic elsewhere but thought I would see what you guys thought about it.
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

You could always cut this one down if you think that it is to high, I have heard of lots of people doing that, Todd
  3. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

If you had an FLH model I'd say get fork mounted wind deflectors, they work well moving the air out and around you. They worked so well I took them off mine a week after I bought it to get more wind, I didn't see them listed on the dyna models though. Maybe aftermarket would have something and if you can find some they do work!!
  4. 1988flhtc in nfld

1988flhtc in nfld New Member

i had thos on mine ,sure i found them pretty good ,but found them infuencing the handle bars , especially in the wind,seems like most guys are takin them off round here, then again gets pretty windy here sometimes .
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

You can cut it down yourself or be lazy and take it to most any glass shop and pay 'em to do it. I did that because the shop gave it a much cleaner beveled edge than I could. It cost $40, but I figure the aggravation saved was worth it.
  6. datbone

datbone New Member

I don't think cutting it down will help because I don't think it's the air over the top causing the problem. I haven't found any lower deflectors that will work with the set up I have. They all seem to be designed to go with specific windshield mounts that I don't have (Memphis shades, etc.). Anyone tried the windvest shields?
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I had a 96 FXDL years ago and what worked best for me was the old "Convertable" windshield that I used on the Sportster and FXR I had. I don't know how hard they are to get now but they are relatively easy to attach..not quite as quick and clean as the detachable..but close. The real good thing about this setup is that the angle..and height are adjustable so you should be able to set it up so that you're not getting beat on the head. From what I see in your post your head is far enough back from the windshield where you're getting the really dirty air.
  8. datbone

datbone New Member

I bought a windvest shield for her (16") and it doesn't work either. It's more adjustable but still can't escape the head jarring buffeting. I'm about to give up and sell it and buy me another E-glide, never had a problem with it on that.
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

geezer glides are NICE!!!!!!!!! lol
  10. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Before you go and toss the windshield out try taping some stiff cardboard on the bottom edge and tilt it to deflect down. If that solves the problem then a piece of lexan cut and placed in the cardboards place shoud do the trick. Some alumium door trim can be used for mounting.
    Hope this helps.
  11. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Hey watch the geezer comments LOL, just cause I turned 41 this week.:cool:
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

well, you've asked about windvest to change the shield but every response you've said, "hows a shorter shield gonna help"

Sounds to me like you have determined that it doesn't matter what windshield you put on the bike.

Ride around and hold your hand between your head and the tank area move around and see if you feel air coming up, if so, then an engine guard with some desert dogs (leather slip overs) might help.

If not perhaps a taller shield, I prefer it hitting me about the nose or a llittle higher, you want to be able to sit as tall as possible in the rain and see over but easily sit behind.

My heritage has the stock shield but I have a 2 inch lower corbin seat that pops me down behind it and I dont' get much buffeting, in fact its less than the Road glide.. go figure that...
  13. dynaglidin

dynaglidin New Member

Datbone, I have a 05 superglide and have the same problem. I purchased an HD quick release and cut it down so as to see over it by a couple inches. I even made a little bracket mounted on the bottom clamp to give a little better angle for wind deflection. No diff, Terrible shaking, I then bought a piece of lexan and shaped it to somewhat match my stock one. Then I would go for a ride come back and cut it down a little at a time. When I was done I ended up with about a 12 inch windshield but the buffeting never went away. So then I purchased some Memphis Shades lowers and put them on. Still not much if any change. I tried the stock shield and the one I had made no diff. I am now thinking of buying one from Slipstream they are a little longer, wider and can adjust the angle better. I wonder if H.D. has heard of a wind tunnel? I have ridden quite a few bikes in my times and have never had this kind of problem. I to am at wits end and if I can't find a way to fix this I will sell it. What I did notice was the buffeting seemed to be coming from under the shield and over the tank causing a sort of updraft. Oh, well just my experience anyhow.
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if the bottom of the windshield is open to the rider, wind is going to get under and come back to the rider. to get around this install a fairing. my old panhead with its gigantic windshield lets wind back to the rider, and it is comming from under the windshield.......
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My stock windshield on my 01 Heritage Springer buffeted me a lot. I cut 3 inches off it myself. Used files and smoothed out the edge. Love it now and has a better look to it than that ugly tall shield did.
    If trimming it down does not help take it off and ride without it. Suggest riding with a full face helmet for the wind. :)
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

re read sleepy's post that shield he's talking about is the best it curves under & back a bit , My bro-in-law has one 00 convert model , he about 6,2 & never said anything bad about it , I'am about5'10 & have riden his bike a few times & it workes real good buffering the air comming up , he just replaced his factory one from age with a new one from HD same style workes just like the old one did , he's has the bike since new 1999
  17. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Blue your safe man....you got be over 50 to be a Geezer Glider,,,,LOL
  18. karlkcfi

karlkcfi New Member

I had an 06 sporty with a qd shield. I put soft tail lowers on it and it cured about 75% of the buffetting. Got the idea from a guy in the xlforum.com
    I suspect a similar set up might help you. I picked up the lowers for about 25 bucks on stealbay.
    Good luck!
  19. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

datbone.....Not sure what you may have done since your post but I had a 04 Dyna low and a smoked windshield (handlebar Mount) and after adjusting a good bit I got it to work fine....I payed Harley stealer about 200.00 for it...its in my garage not scratched with all the hardware too.....if ya want it let me know.
  20. datbone

datbone New Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I got tired of fighting this issue and sold the bike. Maybe a little extreme but I was sick of it. I don't like riding at highway speeds without one and this bike was the worst I had ever rode with or without on the highway. My next Harley will be a street, road, or electra glide. Forgive me but at the present time I'm riding a 650 Ninja. It's cheap, fun to ride, and keeps me on 2 wheels while I hunt for a deal on a bagger.