1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Windshield problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Old Guy, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

I have a HD windshield part number 57960-97. It is tinted smoke grey. The problem is that the plastic has some kind of coating on it and it is coming off in a few places. These areas that the coating is coming off is clear and really looks nice, you can scrape some of it off with your fingernail. Is this coating the smoke grey color and if so how can I get the rest of it off. I have tried the cleaner and scratch remover provided at the HD store, ($11.99) it didn't even start to remove any of the coating. Any ideas will be greatly appriciated.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

over time, the smoke color will decompose with exposure to the sun. two things ya can do. wait for mother nature to remove the coating, or spend a few dollars and get a clear shield........................:)
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Try some acetone/nail polish remover on a small area and see if it helps loosen the film. If it does and causes no problem on the clear, then git-r-done!

:cheers:
  4. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

Thanks for the tips, will try nail polish remover, also thought about paint remover.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I just went through this on the honda for the wife , my grand son used his fingernail so I got out the Gord's & a red shop rag , started comming off the wife came out with some white vinager made it a lot easyer for the Gords to work less scrubbing
  6. Blockhead97

Blockhead97 New Member

Not sure what kind of scoot you have, but on my Eglide I found a windsheild maker that I have been very pleased with. So much so that I have turned all my buds onto him, and they all use his stuff.
    I have a smoked 10" windshield on my Eglide, and for my ride height it works perfectly for me. This guy will make them to order...

Jim Blackmon
    Fast Aire Preformance Products
    2187-C Market st.
    Reno, NV 89502

Oh, and I know exactly the hassle you are going through with the film getting nasty. My OEM windshield did the same before I trashed it, and got this new one that has no film since it is a solid tint and not a surface one.
  7. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

Thanks for the info and will check it out.
  8. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

By the way what is Gords and where do I get some??
    Thanks
  9. cowboy

ok I tried the nail polish remover , but used the nonacetone it along with the Gords worked great can now see through the w shield real good I also put some plexes on to help out , old guy here's the link to gords
    Gord's Home , A little goes a long way , he has a few videos on his site , I came across him at a local swapmeet a few years back to me fellow his directions & your good to go :cool:
  10. Old Guy

Old Guy New Member

Thanks Cowboy
  11. cowboy

your welcome look at the pic's I just put in the post about fixen up a Honda for my wife , the wind-shield on that bike is the one I just got through cleaning , you could not see through it when I first brought the bike home in a trailer