1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Windshields....

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tomflhrci98, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

My windshield on the RK is looking pretty worn out. It is a stock HD replacement that I think is Lexan (polycarbonate). I learned the hard way that I wasn't supposed to use glass cleaner on it because it ruins the coating. I don't know what the coating is but it looks like crap now. I've been living with it for several years this way because the replacement cost is $160.00 just for the plastic not including hardware.

I was looking into the Memphis Shades shields that cost around $100.00 for the same thing. These are made out of Lucite(acrylic). I didn't know the difference until I saw this video. It doesn't look good to use Acrylic. Does anyone think that this video doesn't tell the whole story. It is kind of scaring me away from Memphis Shades.

YouTube - Polycarbonate vs Acrylic Plastic
  2. steveb

steveb Active Member

Sold me on polycabonate windshields.
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I'll to make sure I using polycabonatethe when I am making windshields.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Here is a good article on motorcycle windshield pastics.

Motorcycle Fairings and Windshields

From the Memphis Shades web site.

Memphis Shades brings you a whole new level of style when it comes to custom motorcycle windshields. The quality, style, selection and custom mounting hardware sets these windshields apart from the pack. They are the clear choice for riders who want a stylish custom windshield for their motorcycle. Made with LuciteĀ® for unmatched clarity and weather resistance. No matter if you ride a big-inch cruiser or a stylish street custom Memphis Shades has the perfect windshield for your bike and riding style.

So I would check out the Memphis Shades shields.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

have a memphis shades on the RG it's fine,
    met the guys for National at biketoberfest,
    hard core pitch on the material etc.

buddy took one out on a test fit on his bike
    011 RG and said it made no difference to him...
  6. Tomflhrci98

The video from youtube i attached above is from National Cycle and the information from the link FLHTbiker attached both prove that Polycorbonate/Lexan are stronger than the Memphis Shades Acrylic/Lucite. But, there are draw backs like cost for one. If you go to the National Cycle web site the Road King polycarbonate shield is almost 2 times more expensive that the HD polycarbonate shield and almost 4 times the cost of the Road King Memphis Shades. The difference between the HD and National shields is prolly the coating but I don't know much about that.

After getting all this info, I will prolly go back to the HD replacement and take better care of the coating on the shield now that I know a little more about it. Instead of $100.00 Memphis Shades I'll spring for $165.00 HD. I can't swallow the +$300.00 for a National Cycle.

What scares me is the shattering of the Acrylic shields if it gets hit with a rock. I know I have some good nicks in my shield right now and I wonder if it was acrylic if it would have at the least .. cracked.
  7. FLHTbiker

I've had Memphis Shades on other bikes and never had an issue with them.

Memphis Shades windshields and fairings are DOT (Department of Transport) approved and conform to American Nation Standards Institute (ANSI) Z26.1 - 1996, Group 6, Safety Glazing Material for use in Windscreens for Motorcycles.
  8. Tomflhrci98

Hmmm, I didn't think about this. They would have to be approved. Maybe I'm worried about nothin. I'll check them out again. I heard that the shields are thicker so now I wonder if the hardware I have will need longer bolts if I get the Memphis RK shield.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Met with Brian Klock owner of Klock Werks, they have a new RK windshield out that
    redirects wind around and over you, selling like hot cakes at Biketoberfest, looked good too I"d opt for a Klock windshield over HD...
  10. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

11. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I have a Memphis Shades on mine. don't really expect bats, hammers or gunshots, but on the downside, it does seem to scratch quite easily, and the fact that it is thicker than the HD shield makes fit a bit touchy when used with a faring. OTOH, since it's half price of almost everything else, early replacement isn't as painful.
    Not sure what I'll do next time if necessary.
  12. Tomflhrci98

Good info. Thanks Jake.

The F4 info is good too. Thanks CB

I'll keep an eye out for those Klock RK shields. They look cool too but there isn't much on their website about them.
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

to mhave you looked on cregslist for a used one , there's quite a few on the Houston Tx list ,as for cleaning , when I get around to washing my bike , I then dry & use plexes (sp) on the windshiled , heck even use it on my glasses , & I ran a memphes shade , still have it I got a real good deal on a stock E glide new take off for $10 , the guy got cought cheating on his wife & she sold all his stuff dirt cheep
  14. FLHTbiker

Don't pay to mess with some women sometimes. guy I know got really drunk one night and was getting a bit out of control. Finally passed out and the next morning when he woke up all his toe nails and finger nails were painted pink. Should of seen the look on his face:roflmao: Now that's gitting back at yea.:eek:
  15. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

This gal is a friend of my son's friend & knew he rode & I was at my son place when she called , she was so pissed , the only thing he got away with was his new E Glide ulta , all the rest went in a instent garage sale , truck , boat other motorcycles & all kinda of collectables , I spent about $35 & got the W shiled all the bags that come with the new ultras & some other parts my grand son baughte a 1/18 scale 67 camaro still in the box for $5 there worth about $100 , he had about 30 of those little harley models , she sold them to us for 50 cents each
  16. FLHTbiker

I guess what your saying is he didn't get to come home :rolleyes: Like I said you just don't mess with some women.
  17. Studds

Studds Active Member

Cardboard,

I followed your advice and ordered the F4 windshield for my Electra Glide======Awsome !
    I've never looked thru a clearer windshield---I ordered the 15" for winter riding ( it does a great job of keeping the wind off my wife ) I'll change it back to a short one when it warms up again. This is the Electra Glide I purchased off E-Bay ( Nice Ride Inc.--out of Palm City, Florida) I must admit that I've been as nervous over any purchase ( $12,100 plus $575 freight) This whole thing was sight unseen--Serge is the owner of this company and did a fantastic job for me. I must admit it was like waiting for a mail order Bride ( didn't know if she would have teeth or tits ) I have never been happier in my life.
    It was everything he told me it was Plus ! I received it 2 weeks ago tomorrow and have already replaced the Windshield, Tires, Installed Progressive Front Mono Tubes and Shocks ( lowered 1") Progressive Touring Link, KlockWork Slip on Mufflers plus Hot Toppers and a ton of other chrome items. I am Happy, Happy, Happy to be back in the saddle again !!!!!!!!!!!!