1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Winter tasks

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Roadster guy, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

October around here is the time to think of winter bike storage and the projects to tackle over the winter. I have a 2004 Sportster Roadster 1200, Screamin eagle II pipes, intake, KnN filter, and CVP carb kit with #46 idle/#185 main.
    I will be purchasing new tires, 19' and 16'. Any thoughts? Pinstriped whitewall?
    I will be buying a larger tank from a 1200 Custom for greater range and new fenders, for a paint job, either all black or black with 60s style flame job. Any other ideas?
    I am thinking of a CVP velocity stack, 'cause it looks cool, and possibly rejetting to a #48 for idle as I still have a loud backfire once in awhile when closing throttle and stopping at red lights.
    Upgrade the seat to a two up and a backrest for passenger.
    Forward controls.
    My budget is $2500ish.
    I am aiming for a reliable bike I can travel with, with a late 50s, mid 60s vibe, unique but not gaudy or attracting too much attention for the wrong reasons. Any recommendations of things to avoid or alternatives to things I have chosen would be appreciated.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Bigger tank is a plus,
  3. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

skull2.jpg Before I start dumping all that money into it I would first decide is this the bike I'm gonna keep for a long time...if not and before you dump mad money why not get the bike of your dreams first, one you'll know that all that money you put into it is gonna be something you'll have along time being as money doesn't grow on trees. The person who told me that told me that back in 1983 when I was fixing to do the exact same thing you're doing with your Sportster. I upgraded and still have that 1983 FL I traded up to:
    Roadster guy likes this.
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Things I would consider for that bike.
    1. Forward controls (though I thought the 04 1200 already had them)
    2. New Seat
    3. Aftermarket ignition system. I like the Dyna 2000TC-3 for the 04-06 carbureted Sportster.
    A 2004 XL1200 already has one of the best factory heads made (Buell XB) otherwise I'd add porting the heads by someone like Big Boyz.
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

The bigger tank would be nice for extending your range, especially if you plan on doing any riding through the southwest - gas stations are farther apart down there. My jets were the same as yours. I went to a 48 slow jet and that perked things up a bit at the lower end of the scale. Recently had a coughing issue and adjusted the mix screw out for a richer diet and eliminated the cough. Trial & error there. Maybe a set of Sportster buckhorn handlebars will help with the retro look. They are only about 27" across and position your hands downward instead of out. I have them on my bobber and they are comfortable with the black coke bottle grips.

Velocity stacks are cool, but you don't want to run one without a filter of some kind on the inside. Also make sure your leg won't cover it when riding and restrict the air flow or try to suck your pant leg into it :eek:.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

October!!!! That's about a month and a half early... lol

CVP Velocity stack goes under the air filter and cover...I wouldn't recommend a traditional velocity stack on a street bike,you need a filter,don't want crap getting sucked into the intake...Mustang "touring" seats for Sporties are good,a little more butt room for you and passenger...
  7. joshbob

I have seen velocity stacks with built in filters on the inside, so you still get the looks without all the crap coming in and getting sucked into your combustion chambers. I considered getting one but the inside of my knee would have been right over the opening.
  8. joshbob

Don't know if your bike has spoked wheels or not, but spokes are definitely retro looking. Any older (used) stuff you are looking for can be found at: robsusedharleyparts.com.
  9. Roadster guy

Baninfluence63, I hear you, and you make excellent sense, but I am not a huge guy and the Sportster fits me fine for the forseeable future. Also, with a child to take care of, it can be tough to get out, the old Electra Glide Evo I'd love to have and ride all over is a future dream for now. As for forward controls, Kenfuzed, I think only mids were avaliable stock with the Roadster pkg 883 and 1200s, but I may be wrong. The CVP mini velocity stack under the air cleaner is the way I'd be going, just nice for me to know it is under there. Joshbob, I do have a mint set of buckhorns, and they are comfy, recently swapped out for stock Roadster bars for a snappier feel in the corners. But I may go back.. And I had'nt considered ignition mods, but something to think about if extra money shows up.
  10. badinfluence63

Well...those Heritage Softails with a sidecar might be calling your name then,lol.:)

moto 1.jpg

All joking aside its whatever you're comfortable about. Only you know what you like,need or want. You wrote about recommendations and I figured I'd throw that out for thought.
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  11. Roadster guy

If I bought that I'd need some goggles and a leather helmet. LOL!
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I love the springers ....
    Wish they still made them...
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep the forword controls are a good deal to have along with the bigger fuel tank , PM me I have a spare bigger sporty tank 4.5 gal I think is what there are ,My bro-in-law bought it then got a good deal on a new set of tins & went that way so the tank is just setting in my shop & its for a carb bike
  14. Roadster guy

Figured I better get some pics before I disassemble it, in case I forget how it goes back together.

Attached Files:

15. badinfluence63

Shes definately a looker Roadster guy. I had me a 1981 XLS Roadster. 2 tone silver and metallic. Wish I still had her.
  16. Roadster guy

Thanks for the compliment, I kind of feel bad changing color to black, but all of the original parts you see will be boxed and stored with dessicant, so if in twenty years I want the original look I will still have it. Already bought a replacement rear fender, Cowboy is chatting me up on a gas tank, and a front fender should be pretty easy to locate. Once this is done up and I'm at peace with it, might be time for the upgrade you mentioned before. I'll keep this though, daughter might need a bike someday...
  17. Roadster guy

Badinfluence, something like this? Daytona Beach Harley museum exhibit I had the pleasure of visiting last year.

Attached Files:

18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yes roadster guy you have a good looking Bike , smart move to store the tins
  19. badinfluence63

I wish. It was this:
    It had the super glide gas tank(3.2gal)
    sport.jpg
  20. Roadster guy