1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Winterize

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by DreLaw, Nov 19, 2008.

1. DreLaw

DreLaw New Member

Trying to get tips for storing my bike for the winter. Still riding right now, but the good times won't last for to much longer.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

add stabul to the gas tank & follow the bottle directions, fresh oil & a battery tender , I don't have to set mine up for the winter so this is from reading here :D
  3. DreLaw

DreLaw New Member

Thanks Cowboy

Guess I'll be doing some reading too. It's not quite time yet but its gonna be getting close.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

lilke cowboy posted...oil change, remove the battery and tender it, wash and wax, take the weight off the tires, stabilize the gas. dont put a plastic cover on it, use one that will breathe.:)
  5. DaveFxst

DaveFxst New Member

Chucktx nailed it. The only thing I would add is put a piece of duct tape over the end of each muffler and the air cleaner opening if you store in the garage like most of us. I've had little critters migrate into machinery before, like my lawn mower air filter. They like to make nests in the darndest places.

Never got the point of taking the weight off the tires. Maybe somebody can enlighten me. Also, have never in 30 years of riding taken the spark plugs out and poured a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder like some recommend. Maybe if you were storing for a year or more it might have value.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

For short term storage, jmo, stabil is a good idea.

Might as well change the oil and filters before you store.

If you store in a shed or outside someplace where little animals abound, then be sure to cover up exhaust ends as well as filter as was said.

Get a good breathable cover, wash and wax it and polish it so that when the time comes in spring you can pull it out, pop the choke and fire it up and ride...
  7. chucktx

to get the weight off the tires, use a bike jack if you have one.....if not, try to roll the tires so it sits on a different spot every couple of weeks or so....the oil in the cylinders.....a small amount of marvel mystery oil would not hurt anything....maybe save on a bit of rust if setting for an extended period of time.....but normal winter storage i dont believe it is nessessary:)
  8. roadkinger

roadkinger Member

I`ve heard of putting styrofoam under the wheels which i havn`t done since mine is jacked.I also use a WD-40 fogger on the chrome wheels keeping those nasty rusty spots off ---:mad: and all of the other stuff that chucktx nailed.
  9. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

:D invest in winter gear and scooter chains :roflmao:
  10. chucktx

now ya talkin!!!!!!!!!!
    this ought to get r dun!!!!!!!!:)

Attached Files:

11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Chuck where's the radio:roflmao:
  12. chucktx

ya got a point there cowboy!!!!!!!!!! gonna have to work on that one!!:)
  13. DreLaw

DreLaw New Member

Thanks

Appreciate all the advice fella's. Its already down to the 20's at Fort Leonard Wood. So I may only ride a couple more times.