1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wipe them pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Swatmizer, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Swatmizer

Swatmizer New Member

I got my riding boots a little too close to the pipes. Rubber from the heal of the boot melted onto the pipe.
    What is the best method for cleaning the melted rubber off of the pipe? I've heard a dry SOS pad is good, anything else? :confused:
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

One of the best things is 0000 (four zero) steel wool use it lightly and easily to get the stuff off, don't crank down with it and you should be able to take anything off without scratching, try an area where you can't easily see it to get a feel for the stuff. Home Depot, Lowes etc

Oven cleaner can work but it can also take off paint. SemiChrome polish may work as well.
  3. bikerbob

bikerbob New Member

The best thing I have found is to run the bike and get the pipes hot and then spray some oven cleaner on them and just wipe them off. It works great!!
  4. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Neverdull

I also found that Neverdull works very well without scratching. Get the pipes fairly warm as Bikerbob said. Neverdull is like a cotton wadding with some sort of cleaner in it so you can apply a little more pressure, if necassary, without scratching. Just don't sizzle your fingers! Good luck.
  5. HD DOC FL

HD DOC FL New Member

ive had good luck getting the bike hot/pipes and using crc brakleen brand brake cleaner. keep spraying and wipe with cotton cloth or cotton rags with good results. do not use poly blend rags they l melt on the pipes.
  6. usahellas

usahellas New Member

No idea how much rubber you have on your pipes so hard to tell where to start. I got a bit too close to my pipes once with a plastic bag and yep you got it my pipe was wearing bag. I was able to get part of it off after warming up the pipes again and using a damp cotton rag. After the pipes cooled back down I used Nevrdull. I am sure that Nevrdull was invented by a magician because that stuff performs magic. I would NOT touch my pipes with steel wool of any kind.
  7. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

This happens to me all the time. :mad:

I let the pipes get stone cold, then I use a single edged razor blade to VERY gently scrape off the black crap. Works great, fast, and doesn't damage the chrome.