1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wiring in 96-up switches on a '90 Help Needed

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I've installed 96-up switches on my 90 Heritage,everthing works except the turn signals. When I energized the circuit the turn signals started flashing, when I pressed the button they stopped, opposite of the way it should be.My bike uses the old style flasher Unit not the the turn signal module.
    Has anyone done this on an older bike and got it right?? :witsend: :banghead:
    Any help will be greatly appreciated

Lucifer:devil:
  2. HGM

HGM New Member

I put '96 switches on my '94 WG. I believe its the same as you have.. I did run into a few little issues, just because the wire colors didnt match. My first recomendation would be to check the colors at the switches vs where you have them hooked up to the bike. Just to make sure you got them right. Next, hope you have a schematic, I would verify that you have continuity in the circuit. The switches are just momentary, so, you really havent changed anything but the looks and wire colors. Good luck, I bet its something simple.
  3. Lucifer

The problem seems to be in that the new switch harness has 6 leads in it at the pins and 8 at the switches, my original harness has 7 leads. The signal switch circuit now gets power from the orange/white wire that feeds the start switch.I'm starting to think now that I will have to seperate the feed for the signal circuit and run the 7th wire to feed it the way it was originally.
  4. HGM

HGM New Member

If I were a betting man, I would say the extra wire was a redundant ground that has been spliced in somewhere. As a matter of fact, I seem to remember having to splice 2 wires to one on my upgrade(I've slept since I did it). I would still look really closely at your schematic (I know they suck), and see where each wire needs to go. Then verrify they end up there. You should be able to see splices of common circuits on the schematic.
  5. Lucifer

Actually the 7th lead was the lead for the signal circuit.The new harness eliminated that circuit and fed it from the start switch. If I had the signal module prolly would have worked out fine. Yeah the schematics do suck,and my arms are getting to short to read them;) .Your '94 is a little different than mine as I believe you have the self cancelling sigs,and 4 way flashers. Mine you have to hold the button in for sigs to flash,no 4 ways and uses the $3.00 mechanical flasher. I'm thinking now that I'll either have to run the seperate circuit for the signals or get the turn signal module, I'll run the sig circuit for now.
    Thanks for your input,
  6. HGM

HGM New Member

Ah, I think your right... I do have the 4way and self cancelling signals.. Still seems like you could make it work.. Cant promise any help, but, if you have an electronic version of your schematic, I'd be glad to take a look for you.
    Good luck with it.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i just did the same thing on my sporty project.....the only way i was able to get the signals to act normal was to install the turnsignal module. once installed all was good, including auto turnoff, fourways.....................:)
  8. Lucifer

Thanks Chuck, I knew they're must have been someone else that did it. The module would be the way to go, be nice to just touch the button and have signals come on,rather than brake then accelerate all while holding the signal switch in, but that would be a trip to the Stealer and another week or two,so tonite I'm gonna run the signal circuit in and see how it goes, I think that'll work too and I have lots of wire solder and heat shrink at the garage. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks HGM too, it helps sometimes to just walk away, think and get input from others.:devil:
  9. chucktx

good luck, let us know how it goes!!!!!!:)
  10. Lucifer

:D GOT IT!!!:D I should have figured that out before. Seperate the pigtail from the brake light circuit that fed the sig circuit and run a line in to make the new harness the same as the original harness a 7 wire one. Then all the new circuits are exactly the same as the original ones,just color coded a little different .

So now if anyone else wants to upgrade 84-90 handlebar controls to 96-up style without buying the module it can be done, not hard at all. Now!!:D ;)
  11. HGM

HGM New Member

I thought you'd be able to figure it out by looking at the schematic.. Glad to hear you got it. Looks allot better doesnt it??:D
    Congratulations..
  12. Lucifer

Yeah looks and feels better. The original switches had seen their day, I had to solder the kill switch and starter button 3 times the end of last year, 3rd time didn't last at all ,so I wound up hard wiring a start button below the oil tank. I've also got the Wild One Chubby Knucklehead bars( My sweetie says they named them just for me :roflmao: )on and the 95-down master cylinder wouldn't fit right. So I killed 2 birds with one stone by putting the newer controls on.
    It was more a matter of just walking away from it for a while , clear your head so you can think, throw the problem out and listen to possible scenarios.Then it hit me, get rid of the pigtail and make it a 7 wire harness.(I hate spending money at the Stealers) I was thinking earlier that I was going to have to get the module like Chuck said or run 2 flashers on each side on the return lines for left and right.

Thanks for the help fella's :devil:
  13. HGM

HGM New Member

You mention the "stealers". I really dont have a problem with them, for what they are. The issue I have is that most of the dealers I have visited over the past 6-8yrs, I dont think I saw a tech that was even born when the EVO's were still being sold(bit of an exaderation, but you get the point), and they had a hard time understanding what I was asking them. So, for an older bike, I think your on your own anyhow unless you can find a good independant. Personally, I couldnt immagine not wrenching on my own bike. Though I dont think I'll try to install tires, myself, again.. What a pain in the but!!! Thats why I like these forums, we can learn from eachother..:cheers:
  14. Lucifer

Yeah, just don't like buying overpriced parts is all, but you wanna see the look on their face when you go in looking for a part for a Shovel or Pan:roflmao: .The garage where I keep my bike is my buddys he's a HD wrench about 15yrs exp and 35 as a painter/body man, he just finished doin a top end hop up on and Evo and has a Twinkie about 3/4's done.Cams, lifters and a carb tune.
    Three other buds are Indy's, one is in his 35th year, we pick his brain a lot. I do all my own work too and it sure is nice to be surrounded by top notch pros to lend you a hand or advice when you get stuck and supply 99% of the parts at fair prices.
    This forum is a great place to learn also, 'cause ya never stop learnin.
  15. chucktx

ask a tech about a panhead and ya get that "deer caught in the headlight" look.....even worse dealin with the parts folks. dont even think of asking anything bout a knuck or flatty.........