1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wiring inside handle bars.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by beast, Jul 14, 2004.

1. beast

beast New Member

Changing grips, thought this would be a good time to run my hand control wiring inside my beach bars. What is the best way to do this? :rolleyes:
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Beast

1) get the SM for your year bike from the dealer it has all the wiring diagrams and locations of the connectors etc how to undo the throttle cable and how to install and adjust the cables.

2) you can do it yourself you'll need a pick to take the wires out of the connectors, (the SM will show you the trick) wire cutters, soldier gun, drill bits and drill, paper and pen

3) You may have to add wire to make it work, so you'll remove the wires from the connectors and note what color wire goes to what pin connection.
    then when you cut to add 3 or 4 inches cut about 3 inches up on the first wire splice in and you'll have the original pin end on the wire with the correct color. Move your cuts up the next wire and so on to stagger the cuts keeps the wire bundle thinner.

4) A trick is to take a long string and put a washer on one end and run the string using the washer and gravity to thread the wire through the bars, tie the sting to the wires and pull back through.
  3. beast

beast New Member

Thanks for the reply, What size drill would you use, 1/2"? I'm assuming that I would drill in the dimples toward the end of the bar and under the bar clamp? :confused:
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would start with a smaller drill bit and get a pilot hole then drill out larger maybe up to 1/2 you can tell the size you need by testing the wire fit.

You should remove the controls and housings and then use a sharpee to mark where you need to drill, the wires should enter in the depressed area under the control housing and exit where they can directly enter into the bike where they do now, mark with a sharpee and you'll need larger than a 1/2 hole where they exit.