1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wobble extensions

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Feb 15, 2014.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Went to Harbor Freight today. Got a flyer in the mail. Seen they had some wobble extensions that normally sell for like 19.00 for like 12.99
    Got me a set. Know the long 1/4" is great for getting to the exhaust bolts at the heads.

[​IMG]

2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks ,I might get me a set , would come in handi
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Usually I would have a couple tumblers of bourbon on ice to turn my tools into wobblers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Tomflhrci98 likes this.
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

That is a nice set for the money and yes, they are very handy (the tools, not the tumblers LOL). I don't have any, but have wished I had at times. Think I'll order a set online today.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Watch those Chinese tools especially the wobble extensions. When I was selling MAC tools saw where many a mechanic trying to save money got hurt using them and other Chinese hand tools.
  6. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I thought they were made in Japan. Didn't get around to ordering them yesterday - maybe I'll wait. I've had Japanese & American wrenches & sockets for decades with no problems with any of them. No Chinese stuff though.
  7. Fatboy128

You ever hear of JIS Philips screwdrivers??? For years I cursed the fact that me snap on Philips screwdrivers didn't work well on today's Philips screws. I blamed the Chinese and Japanese screws we now are forced to use. A couple years ago I read about the JIS. Japanese industry standard. They make the slots slightly different than ASE. I bought these screw drivers and what a difference. I even got the pro set for my son who works on Japanese bikes he loves them.
    http://www.rjrcooltools.com/jis.cfm

Tomflhrci98 likes this.
  8. cardboard

Buddy down the street has been using them for 3 yrs.
    I've borrowed them a lot, till I got my own.

If you can't use hand tools without hurting yourself, Mabe you shouldn't be using them.
    It they break they don't hurt you. They just break.
    The Harbor freight wobble extension in the 1/4 is great for getting to the exhaust header bolts to take you header pipes off.
    And if you break them, which we have not had a problem, take em back & they will replace them. They even have them in Impact wobbles extensions.
    Tomflhrci98 likes this.
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Oh Lordy, Chinese impact wobbles :eek:

I've been using my 1/4 drive MAC wobble extensions for many years and have never broke one. I've got a set of Craftsmen 1/4 drive socket set with ratchet that I bought back in the 70's when I was working as a helicopter mechanic and have never broke one. I don't know if I would even trust even a Craftsmen tool made today but dang sure I would buy a Craftsmen tool before a harbor freight tool. Chinese tools are cheap but if you can get by with them more power to you, just don't muscle em to hard.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The thing about chinese tools is an hour after using them, you get a craving to go use them again...
    Tomflhrci98 likes this.
  11. cardboard

I have the craftsman tools and a Skill saw front he 60's.
    Just went and got a set of offset box end wrenches made in China.
    They have a lifetime guarantee.
    I beat my Chineese tools with a Hammer.
    They didn't cost a lot. And if I break them I don't care.
    I wear Gloves.
    I ain't gonna baby the tools. I got a job to do they will have to do.
    Don't have your money to go buy Mac.

Watched the dude I did boat work with buy Snap ON and Mac tools.
    He had over 8000.00 of tools. Not to mention a 5'High and 5' wide if not bigger tool box.
    You got to Kill yourself to find a truck up here.
    And I watched them fall into the lake over and over when we was working on boat motors. Bye Bye Snap ON and Mac.
    Also watched the snap on ratches break from using all the time, over stressing them.

Don't make any difference where it come from when it hits the water.
    With a magnet you may find it and you may not.
    Seen whole socket sets fall off the boat docks.
    You change you though of mind when you live around the water.
    You get what works and serves the purpose.
  12. Fatboy128

If you are a pro automotive mechanic and handle wrenches all day long, Snap On were the best. They weigh slightly less and have a more comfortable finish for your hands. However, other manufacturers are now copying Snap On finish but they haven't got the weight and durability down yet. The steel alloy that Snap On uses seems to be a secret. I don't know of automotive mechanics dropping their tools into the ocean or lake while working on cars or trucks! But they do occaissionaly leave a tool in an engine compartment!
  13. cardboard

I built Tractor Trailers for Great Dane .

Was a Trailer mechanic. Guess that don't count. We use welders and skill saws and all.

Bought some snap on sockets. Last set I bought.
    Don't care to PAY the PRICE snap on wants. Nor Mac.

Seen the guys line up at the tool trucks and make payment every week for the Stuff they bought.
    I did the same job right next to them without snap on or Mac tools.

Wonder how that is.
  14. cardboard

15. Fatboy128

I'm not critzing you I'm just offering an opinion. Sockets don't matter as much as wrenches. I've worked with SnapOn S&K Craftsman and Mac. I prefer SnapOn then Mac then Craftsman. Sockets don't matter as long as they font break. All Ratchets brake when used as a breaker bar years ago the best screw drivers were SnspOn now there are a lot of good ones. And your right about costs. Most mechanics carry mortgages on their toolbox. Today there are thousands of tools needed for auto repair as compared to marine or motorcycle repair. I'm not familiar with building trucks do I can't comment on that job and tools.

16. Fatboy128

Also, if they aren't worth the price, how is it snap on and Mac are do popular with mechanics? Just saying

17. cardboard

Mechanics has to have the best tools they can get. And they get hooked by the truck coming, and everybody going to the mechanic truck and everybody getting new tools.
    They would sell their house and cars to keep up with the rest of the guys.
  18. cardboard

19. Fatboy128

My box is a collection mostly craftsman, some snap on, old S&K and other stuff.

20. Fatboy128

The other thing with snap on is the amount of specialty tools. For instance there are a few different depth of sockets from a very shallow one to got into tight spaces (sometimes eliminating the need for u joints or wobble extensions) to very deep dockets for those nuts on long bolts. Ratchets with fine teeth for those times where it's in a very tight space with very little room to ratchet and a normal ratchet doesn't have enough movement to actually ratchet. These things I have run into and benefitted from having those tools in my box.