1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Won't shift

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by wblanton, Apr 24, 2009.

1. wblanton

wblanton New Member

I had to replace the starter ring and rebuild the starter on my 99 fatboy. Once I put everything back together the bike started perfectly but when I went down the road for a test run, it would not shift out of 1st gear! I was very careful to put the clutch back exactly as it came out and I tried to adjust the clutch several times with the same result. With the derby cover off you can see the clutch actuate when the lever is squeezed. I never have had any shifting problems in the past.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

When redoing the clutch especially when you take it out there are some steps to follow that seem to help

1) Before adjusting loosen the cable adjuster to allow slack in the cable
    2) Loosen the nut on the jam adjuster on the clutch pack
    3) Move lever in and out several times to seat balls in trans cover.
    4) Leave Lever pulled in with cable seated in clutch handle mount on bar
    5) leave cable adjuster loose but be sure the ends of the adjuster is in the cable properly, if not it can catch and bind and when you adjust you'll be off
    6) with allen t wrench and adjustment nut all the way out on the adjuster, slowly turn in allen at clutch pack watch the clutch lever, it will eventually start to move out. Tighten it until it's tight then back off 1/2 a turn, check cable at the mount by lever you should be able to pull the cable away from the housing and have a dime or nickels thickness of space.

7) Jam down the adjuster nut, be sure to hold the allen
    8) check cable end play by handle if it's moved and you have too much or too little slack (pulling cable from housing) then fine tune it to the nickle/dime width of slack and tighten down the jam nut on the cable adjuster, cover it with the cover.

that should do the trick.
  3. edveitch

edveitch New Member

Does your shifter move back into place after the shift? Do you have to move the shifter back into place? I had a problem like this. My foot shift lever was sticking.