1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wood Night Prowler Cams

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 99 Softail Custom, Oct 16, 2007.

1. 99 Softail Custom

99 Softail Custom New Member

I'm getting ready to put a Wood Night Prowler W6 cam in my 99' Softail. It has an 80 inch EVO engine pushing 70 Hp. What kind of HP gain can I expect to see?
  2. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

You might want to check their website, occasionally they'll have charts there that would give you some clues. Somebody else might have another idea, but at one time there was a link posted here to a website of all kinds of different engine mods and dyno numbers, but I have no idea where/when it was posted. Sorry I can't help more.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Wood Performance Carburetors - High Performance Harley Carbs and Cams

Bobbys cams are more TQ than hp for the street,

you'll probably see more bottom and mid range tq if you're doing nothing but the cam.

You might consider raising compression with thinner head gaskets or different pistons, his cams like higher compression.

Check his website you should find some comparisons.

That is a good cam
  4. Hugo

Hugo New Member

Cant go wrong with Woods Cams. Check his website knightprowler.com Just installed gear drive in my 88 twin cam.My mechanic at speed shop said throw the woods tw 6g bolt in cams. no top end work required.Already had adjustable pushrods ,said lets do it.Gain 23 hp 14 torque with the Vance+Hines Pro Pipe HS.You will b happy:D His site shows all cams for all harleys ,Good luck!
  5. 99 Softail Custom

99 Softail Custom New Member

I ordered the W6 cam for my softail and in came in yesterday:) . Now I have to wait until next week to install it :D Can't wait to ride it and feel the difference. Thanks Guys for the input and help.
  6. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I'm changing over to the gear driven cams on my 02 Heritage. I have the SE breather and V&H true duals, but I'm not going to do any head work. Just looking for a good bolt in cam.

I was thinking of the Andrews cams. Either the 26G or the 37G. Any thoughts on this? Andrews claims that the 26G is a good cam for two up riding of which I do a lot of. More TQ at the low end.
  7. hotroadking

I would agree with the 26 it's a good low end cam, no head work or other motor work just filter and pipes and tuning.
  8. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

So you think the 26 is the better choice over the 37? Andrews shows both as being bolt in cams with stock heads and compression. I'm not really well versed in cam technology so that's why I'm askin. Just want to make sure I'm gettin the best bang for the buck. Here are the torque bands for the the two cams from the andrews website.

26G 1700-5200 rpm
    37g 1800-5500 rpm.

Thanks for the info.
  9. Hugo

Hugo New Member

Ringo, check out Knightprowler.com These cams r designed by Bob Woods and Andrews makes them for him. This guy is a pioneer when it comes to pushing the envelope on bike and car technology. I was introduced to his name by my mechanic at his speed shop, and he's been in the buisness for 27 yrs. he also races harley drag bikes.Also u can call Bob Woods at his home and he will tell u the exact cam for your application.The one i was told to use was the Woods TW-6G bolt in cam with the andrews gear drive. No more cam chain and tensioners to worry about. Great power band from idle to 5500 rpm. Its a proven cam, at least give him a call or u can e-mail bob woods at bob@woodcarbs.com .Give it a try what do u have to lose!:cheers:
  10. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Thanks Hugo, I here the TW-6G is a good cam. Might be a little out of my price range to buy everything seperate. I can get the whole S&S Andrews gear kit for a bout $570.00. Kit includes all gears, bearings, installation kit and my choice of any Andrews cam. If I go with the prowler cam and buy the rest of the parts seperate, it's over $700.00.

Just wonder how the TW-6G compares to the Andrews 26G. I'm going to send Bob Woods an email.
  11. Hugo

Hugo New Member

Ringo, i believe the cam which is equivalant to bob woods TW-6G cam is the andrews 37 G cam, im almost sure ,check it out.Good luck again!:cool:
  12. hotroadking

Ringo,
    I've run the 37B in an 88 Bagger with nothing but pipes and filter, it's a good cam, and if you're planning on moving up to a 95 inch then I'd go that way.

The only issue is the advertised RPM and the real street power begins at a different RPM.

While the baggers motor pulled good with the 37B's it really didn't pull hard until it was over 3000 RPM, if you are going to stay stock heads and bore then the smaller cam will come on a bit earlier,

Focus on the TQ not the HP potiential, TQ is fun.

Also wildthings (Kuryakyn) have a tc-2 that would be an equivilent cam.
  13. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Thanks HRK, I'm not really concerned with HP. As Bill Bishop would say, torque is everything. Since I'm looking for more TQ at the lower end, it sounds like the 26G is the way to go.

Thanks for the info.