1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Woods Cams

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Jul 7, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Been sittin and waitin since last oct when I got my 08 FLHT to put some Woods cams in..

My buddy stuck some cams in his bike and made me weak. I broke down and ordered some TW6-6 Woods cams today.
    Anybody else runnin a pair of these in their bike.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Heard a few on HTT run them, should make a good increase, woods cams work well.

Usually they are for higher comp motors to get more out of them but not the mid level cams.

Let us know how they turn out.
  3. cardboard

Have talked with Bobby Woods several times before. Called him and was talkin to him about my bike and if I needed to do any head work to my bike. He said the cams would work fine with stock heads.
    It does them more justice to have the compression brought up to about 9.8.1 but I wouldn't want to go any higher than that. Gas nowdays just ain't good enough.
    The cams are suppose to come in from Idle threw 5500 rpm, how much more cold you ask for.
    From what my buddy's that are runnin them say is that they are torque monster cams.
    They are suppose to be great for riding solo or two up . Light or heavy bike.
    The Woods motto is Its Not How Fast You Go, But HOw Quick YOu Git There !
    They will be here thursday, but don't know if everything else I ordered will make it.
  4. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

As the old saying goes, " Horsepower is a theoretical calculation, Torque is everything". The shortest distance between two points will always be a striaght line, but how quick you get from point A to point B is all about torque.:rocket_bike: :)
  5. cardboard

Thanks Ringo, Been waitin since last year for Thundermax to come out with a new unit for the 08 touring bikes. They haven't made a move. The Thundermax with Auto Tune I took off my 07 model HD will not work on the new ECM and 08 Model with the DBW.
    I wished I knew a way to do something with my ECM that didn't cost so much. The new sert tuned is about 900.00.
    Then I could change my air box.

Some folks said go with the fuel pack, but dyno folks said it runs lean till 5000 rpm, that ain't good.
    A dude that was #1 in his class with MMI in arizona has taken the fuel injection off several customers bikes and put carbureautors back on. But if you have cruise control like I do it kills it.
  6. duke76

duke76 New Member

cardboard, wait until Sturgis and ask the guys at Zippers when there estimated time of release is for the tmax for the 08s, it would be to bad to buy a tuner of some sort because you put cams in and then the Tmax comes out 2 weeks later, remember best things come to those that wait, I really like my tmax so far. Todd
  7. cardboard

Still got the TM with A/T I used for a few months on the 07 WG I had.
    I know how they run. Word has it the new TM for the 08 touring bikes are going to go up to around 1000.00 and that will make the older TM go up in price as well.
    I can put the cams in as long as I don't change the factory air intake which is what I want to do.

Guess I might have to sell the 07 model TM A/T I have.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Putting them in an 07 this summer, buddy has ordered them for his street glide and he has the SERT, and we have a Daytona Twin Tech so I'll retune the bike using that.

Should work well, woods stuff is always good with TQ.
  9. duke76

duke76 New Member

carboard, I'm sure you wont have any problem selling your Thundermax, I have seen a few for sale lately and they usually wont last a day, Todd