1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

XL1200C rear brake noise

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by woodsman1031, Jul 6, 2013.

1. woodsman1031

woodsman1031 New Member

Hey guys I just bought the 2008 Sportster, and I have noticed that the rear brakes make a noise just rolling with the motor off. It sounds like car brakes with pads worn down and it is intermittant

I bought some new pads and I have noticed after seeing the new pads that the existing pads have a ton of life on them. Is this a common thing for Harley or is there something else I can look at?

Also can someone tell me what size the torx bolt is that holds the front brake caliper on?

Thanks
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Wood men's the brakes sounds like its draging some might try to bleed it on the tq I would try a 10 & go from there until you can get a service manual
  3. woodsman1031

woodsman1031 New Member

Thanks Cowboy,

What is the TQ ? And is there a technique on bleeding a Harley? I have bled a few cars brakes.

Thanks
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Basically the same way to bleed. I use a clear plastic hose and hook it to the bleeder valve on the caliper and run the other end into a jar on the floor with fluid already in it.

If the brake squeal is intermittant, it could be a warped rotor. I've been told that caliper pads usually drag a very small amount anyway - at least mine do on the shovel.
  5. woodsman1031

woodsman1031 New Member

I think you are right about the rotor possibly being warped. I am going to get my son to push it slowly and I will walk behind and look at it.

Thanks
  6. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Just prop up the rear of the bike with a scissor jack so you can spin the rear wheel. Hold something lightly against the rotor and check if the drag or gap varies. If it does getting it resurface will be much cheaper than replacing it. 'Doubt that it's air in the line.
  7. woodsman1031

woodsman1031 New Member

Ok good idea........thanks!
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Could also be that the wheel is out of true (warped from a big hit) - but I sure hope not.
  9. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

most oem harley pads are a sintered bronze compound material. they can sound rather agressive but are relatively clean on the wheels. as mentioned by other members check your rotor for runnout and make sure the hardware is ok. does the noise sound like a constant scuff and go away when the brake is applied?
  10. woodsman1031

woodsman1031 New Member

It is intermittant and stops when the brake is applied
  11. cowboy

Tq is the torx , 08 sporty , I think has the solid rear wheel doubt it out of round or worped , went out & rolled our 04 sporty & it makes a rubbing noise from factory brake pads
  12. woodsman1031

woodsman1031 New Member

I am glad to hear that. I am not going to sweat it. I rode it earlier and it stops great ! Yes it has the solid alloy wheel.

Thank you everyone for the input.
  13. cowboy

no problem woodsmen , glad we could help ya out , :D