1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

You are the Jury

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by Red Rider, Aug 27, 2009.

?

Is he Guilty of DUI or Not Guilty?

1. Guilty of DUI

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. Not Guilty of DUI

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. I love Clamato/beer drinks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'll have a Clamato and beer - hold the Clamato

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

A guy has a fight with his wife and leaves so things don't get uglier. He hits a bar and has some drinks. He worked all day so he's tired, and he leaves.

He drives down a lonely country road on a cold night, parks his truck off the road (on the shoulder) and finishes off two Coronas and two Clamato/beer mixed drinks in his cab and goes to sleep in his truck with the engine running so he won't freeze during the night.

About two hours into his sleep he is awoken by a couple deputies and fails the drunk test.

Is he guilty of Driving While Intoxicated or not?

You make the call.....
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

When I was in germany, if you were in the drivers seat and had access to the keys, you could be charged with DUI......I did it once, but put the keys in the trunk...had inside pass through or trunk release.....don't remember....he left the engine running, as far as I know, he would be considered DUI. I can understand the outcry for NOT DUI, BUT....think that it was. Good lawyer may get him off.....
  3. Red Rider

Not to be persnickity at ya, AFNurse, but I want YOUR opinion, not what may or not be charged by any judicial system. I'll give the actual verdict reached here in court yesterday after we get more votes.

:cheers: (but NOT when yer driving)
  4. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I voted DUI...... tho it is VERY judgemental. Drivers seat, keys, engine running.....DUI.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

driving under the influence key word is driving

sleeping under the influence....a bit different.

but, no one knows if he drove there drunk or waited to park before getting drunk.
    nobody saw him driving drunk. it is a judgment call and would probably be reflected in his past offenses.
    i dont think a dui should be levied.....as he wasnt driving, but i am sure that there are other things that could be brought against him.
  6. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

sometimes the officer needs to look at the big picture and ONCE in awhile actually belive that a civilian is telling the truth, I think that he was off the road and asleep should override if he was stopped and sitting in the seat. did he lay as if he passed out or like he was bundeled up, was he combative or coopertive? all will determine the verdict
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Not guilty of DUI. He wasn't driving. Care and control is another story but that wasn't the charge.
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Drinking in a bar first....
    Continued drinking in the truck while engine is running.....
    Potential to put it into drive and drive off intoxiated....
    gets checked and fail test...
    determination...
    guilty
    I know that's what most cops and courts will say.
  9. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I would have to say guilty, just cause the potential to drive was there. He shoulda called a buddy and had him drive, or a cab (if available). Sorry JMHO.
  10. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I voted no,, but in reality, he's goin down. I got mine several years ago when my truck was not moving. But I was in it, keys in ignition. Guilty. Had a good lawyer too. I was .005% over the legal limit. Thats 5 thousands of one percent. I have a friend that got it about a year ago same way. Off on a remote gravel road, engine off, "talking" with a lady friend.
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

i have to say gulity . but I'am going by the Tx laws truck running & if he's behind the wheel he's going down , not sure what the laws are in his state , if he was a good boy & treated the cops good then it's up to them , just a few years back right before my knee surgie 1 pain pill out riding got a tast for a beer late at night Had just one , locol pulled me over for a bad light & did all the test still had a brace on my knee but I treated him nice & he let call my son to come ride the bike home
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

not pickin on ya voodoochild.......but a few of you mentioned that the "potential to drive was there". you probably own a handgun....should you go to jail because the "potential to murder" was/is there???? ya i know, that is way out there...but the "potential" to a lot of illegal stuff exists.....the laws on us are bad enough without adding....."potential"..............
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I'd say quilty, he was behind the wheel with engine running, no proff that he didn't pass out and just get stoped before hitting what ever.
  14. Red Rider

Additional info for pondering:
    - The state was Nevada.
    - He was only charged with DUI - no other offense was charged nor was he ticketed for any.
    - having a .0799999999999999999999999999999 alcohol level is not an offense (with some inapplicable exceptions, of course).
    - Just a reminder - for now, and since at least 1789, we are all presumed innocent in our criminal justice system.

I'll post the actual verdict when we have 12 votes..........
  15. FLHTbiker

Where you been Red, crap now days were all guilty for just holding our mouth the wrong way. Don't dare look at a cute young girl walking down the street, sheet they'll have you in jail for rape and child molesting.

Your now presumed guilty and have to prove your innocent. :rolleyes:
  16. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

There. I made it 12. I know that in most places he'd be found guilty, but I went with not guilty because I'd like to believe that someone is innocent until proven guilty, and unless someone saw the guy driving within a certain period of time, it would be hard to prove it. Then again, that could go either way, depending on witnesses.
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Anyone that would drink Clamto ought ta be arrested, tomato and clam juice uggh!
  18. FLHTbiker

That's a Fact :puke:
  19. Red Rider

The verdict

In the actual case, tried this past Wednesday, the jury found the defendent NOT GUILTY.

As one of the jurors, (selected as Foreperson by default - no one else was willing to take it and I wanted to go home that night), it was an interesting case in many ways. First was that there was no specific precedence -and I'd have thought that one other time in the state someone would have been tried for this exact same circumstance. But I guess all other similar cases were either pled guilty to without a trial, or the charges were not DUI.

Everyone on the jury felt that it was real likely that he was drunk when he drove the truck to that spot along the road - but there was no proof he was, and he did have enough empties in his truck to become drunk after arriving there.

There was always this thought, too, which we discussed: if drunk drivers can get a DUI for sleeping it off in a parked vehicle, then why shouldn't they just try to drive home anyway? So, at least in Nevada, you can now legally sleep in your legally parked & running vehicle without worrying about a DUI.

You may be charged with Public Intoxication, however......
  20. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Maybe the fight with his wife was about him drinking and driving, and he didn't want to go home.