1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Zipper By Thundermax

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by DKIN21, Aug 26, 2007.

1. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

ANYONE HAD ANY EXPIRENCE WITH THE ABOVE WITH THE AUTO TUNE, I'M THINKING ABOUT INSTALLING ONE ON MY SE 110, I'M RUNNING V&H TRUE DUAL BIG SHOTS WITH V&H FUEL PACK. ONE OF THE REASON IS TO TRY AND COOL THE MOTOR DOWN SOME, EVEN BY DOING AWAY WITH THE STOCK CROSS OVER PIPE AND RUNNING DUAL WIFE STILL COMPLAINS ABOUT HER RIGHT LEG GETTING HOT.

DKIN21

LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD:rocket_bike:
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Dkin , I have the V&H T duels , & it all but elimted the heat troubls from the cross over set up , No one who has riden on the back since I change them has said a word about the heat , I also run the PC111 , are you sure your not A bit lean on your setting ?
  3. sleepyjim

sleepyjim New Member

Just got the Tmax installed yesterday, rode abit last night and was dam impressed!

sj
  4. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Sleepyjim,

How much is that unit?

Did you have to have it dyno tuned or did you install it and run?
  5. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

COWBOY, I'M RUNNING THE V&H FUEL PAK AND YES I THINK ITS RUNNING A BIT LEAN, THE 07'S ARE RUNNING HOTTER THAN IN ANYTHING IN THE PAST AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE SE 110 C.I. WILL RUN HOT ANYWAY, AND RIDING 2 UP HERE IN THE MTNS. OF E. TENN I GETTING 48 TO 50.5 MPG. AND I'M NOT SOFT ON THE THROTTLE SO YES I THINK IT IS RUNNING A LITTLE LEAN, BUT WITH V&H FUEL PAK U HAVE TO USE THE SETTINGS THEY SEND YOU.

SLEEPYJIM, PLS. TELL ME ABOUT IT, DID IT COOL IT DOWN ANY? AND WHAT DID IT DO FOR PERFORMANCE?

TOM, THEY PRICED IT TO ME AT 835.00, YOU REPLACE THE H-D ECM AND ADD THE AUTO TUNE, THE AUTO TUNE LEARNS HOW U RIDE AND MAKES ALL ADJUSTMENTS AND IF U CHANGE ANYTHING ON THE MOTOR LIKE PIPES, AIR FLOW IT WILL MAKE ALL THE NEEDED AJUSTMENTS
    , U NEVER HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO IT AGAIN. U INSTALL AND WITH A LAP TOP DOWN LOAD THE DISC THEY SEND U.

SLEEPYJIM, CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG

DKIN21

LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD:rocket_bike:
  6. Tomflhrci98

Thanks DKIN21
    I would really like to get one of these for my bike. Not in the budget right now but this thing may solve a lot of my driveability problems.

Maybe next years tax return.
  7. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

Tomflhrci98, I TOLD U WRONG ON THE PRICE THEY QUOTED ME 869.95 INSTEAD OF 835.00, BUT HAVE FOUND IT SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR 695.00. I'M RUNNING V&H TRUE DUALS, AND THERE 02 SENSOR WILL NOT WORK UNLESS I RELOCATE THE POSTION OF THE SENSOR ON THE BACK (LEFT) SIDE PIPE, THERE SENSOR IS A LOT LONGER THAN H-D STOCK SENSOR AND IT WILL RUB ON THE TOP OF TRANNY.

DKIN21

LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD
  8. Tomflhrci98

I'll find out if they have distributors in my area.
    I think that some dyno tuning is probably necessary at 80% throttle and up. only because you don't want to run 14.7 to 1 AFR there. It would be better to run something like 12 to 1 when you are looking for power. But that has to be dialed in with the dyno and then set in the Thundermax.

So if I find a place that sells these and has a dyno that is probably best.

So, again I'm looking at about a grand and the same decision has to be made. Is it cheaper to convert this Magnelli Morelli over to a carb or new FI processor.

:witsend:
  9. sleepyjim

sleepyjim New Member

Sorry guys been on alert and busy.........'

I got an 07 SG with B&E Super flow slip ons and K&N air.

I paid under 700 for the thing to my door, I got it off another board from a dealer who discounts for members, msg me for more info.

Anyway, im impressed and happy as pig pooh........ The software is dam sweet and easy to mod, im begining to learn more each day and built a custom map already, but I am running a stock map or provided map........

Customer service is top notch.

Yep the bike runs cooler, way better response and performance........

No dyno at all (saves cash). Also if I do engine work, it reteaches and still will not need dyno.

Did I miss anything?

SJ
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  10. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Self-tuning packages such as these are the wave of the future IMO. I have to believe that Dynojet (Power Commander) must be looking at this very closely, otherwise they are going to be left behind. It just makes sense to have a self tuning ignition that can adapt to changes. Cars and trucks have been doing it for years with the aftermarket stepping up with their own tuning devices for those who don't settle for stock. With an engine management system that adjusts on the fly it opens the door for greater innovations in exhaust and intake designs.
  11. Tomflhrci98

Right on guys.

What I like about this is that I can do away with the stock processor (M.M.) and the PowerCommander and just rely on one piece of electronics. It just simplifies the whole operation.

If I get one of these I'll have two PowerCommanders for sale. What a waste:gah:
  12. sleepyjim

sleepyjim New Member

YEP! Seeing many of these for sale on the boards and ebay..............
  13. airbornesf

airbornesf New Member

06 FLHRI Stg I kit w/ truduals and rolled thunder Samsons

Sorry fella but I'llstick with the Power Commander for now --too many things to go wrong with the "new stuff" Are you using an oil cooler and Synthetic oil ??? When I switched to Syn oil My temp went down 30 degrees--and everything ran MUCH quieter. and don't change but every 10,000 miles--HD Syn is fine ,but MobileI, Castrol SynTech, or MobilSyn for MC all avail at any auto store,and cheaper. I put about 1200-1500 miles a month on my bikes , over the last 51 years, and have been using the Syn in them for the last 6 years with no problems what so ever---by the way I am a VERY hard rider,only three speeds ---FAST-FASTER,-and call my insurance adjuster.:devil:
  14. Tomflhrci98

Airbornesf,

Welcome and thanks for the comments.

I will stick with my PowerCommander for the time being too, but I agree with Kenfuzed that closed loop systems are the way to go. And since there is a big business in aftermarket bike stuff like this then we all benefit as time goes by... better products and hopefully, cheaper.

Right now I just need to pay for a dyno session.

I do have a cooler that I think works great although I don't have a thermocouple.

I may try syn again. Can you switch back and forth ?:confused: I would like to try some 50 wt synthetic if they make it.

Watch out for that third speed - Fastester
  15. sleepyjim

sleepyjim New Member

With the Tmax no need for dyno ever. Oh and this aint a "new" product, if ya got to HDForums you will see where they been running them for couple yearsish...........

Amsoil is one of the best syn ya can get, there are several copes of the oil study dont on the web, good info...........oh amsoil cost 99.00 a case shipped to the middle east (just bought a case and had shipped).............

SJ
  16. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

My brother in-law has had the zipper on his 02 EG for 2 years now. Says he wouldn't trade it for anything:D . He tried the Terry components system amd sent it back, way to many problems.:gah:
  17. cowboy

sleepyjim, is this thing A plug & go ? or do you have to remap ? I found there web site but made no senice of it :banghead:
  18. sleepyjim

sleepyjim New Member

Ya load a base map and then it learns from there on its own..............It is real dam easy and the customer support is tops if ya just have questions.
  19. cowboy

I went back to the web site & sent them A email , got a call the next morning from pat , from what I got out of him it make's a closed loop system , i'll have to add o2 sencers to my bike , he said he' sent me A info package ( this was last thursday ) The package for my bike through him is A little over $800, :gah: but includes the o2 sencers , you have to do A one time mapp then the thunder max does the rest acording to him
  20. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

What I would be curious about....the NEW true dual headers by V&H already have O2 sensor ports on them..... so my 2 questions are this...1) are these ports in the right place for the Zipper, and 2) If I get these header pipes will they fit my 04 EG Standard AND can I plug the sensor ports temporarly until I GET the zipper??!! cost plays a part in how soon I would be able to do this, but I like the idea also!