1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

02 or 05 WG

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bdfin, Jul 26, 2007.

1. bdfin

bdfin New Member

I guess this question was lost over in the welcome mat thread so I'll try it here.... I need sage advice from those of you in the know....or if you stayed at the Holiday Inn last night.
    Looking at 2 different Wideglides this weekend for probable purchase of one or the other. 1st is an 02 with less than 2000 miles, screaming eagle pipes, other small upgrades. Bike has sat quite a bit stored in the garage, hence the low miles. 2nd is an 04, with approx. 4500 miles, 2 into 1 exhaust, fuel injected, and other small upgrades. Asking price for both is nearly identical, both look very good in pics but haven't seen or heard in the flesh yet. Any particular reason to lean towards one or the other based on the model year or any other
    "things" I am not aware of. Both bikes look very worthy.
    Thanks.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

each has it's up's & down's , some will say the 02 because of the low milage & it's a carb model others will be just the oppisite because it's newer & has EFI to me save a few buck's & go 02
  3. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Thanks cowboy, I have the feeling it will come down to which deal looks to be the best when it comes to $ and like I said they are both almost identical asking prices. I just figured someone might know some quirks of one or the other that might be worthy of extra considerations. Either one look to be fine rides.
  4. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I have an 04 WG, with carb and I love mine. I chose carb over EFI because I wanted to wrench on my own bike. I would go with the carbed model. JMO Good luck with either.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

just a thought here....if the 02 has been stored, it will probably have some mech. issues with it. tires, brake system....fluid collecting water....any oil seal that may have dried and will leak when warm and running. battery, maybe some electrical problems......mice and other vermin....but, this could be used to get a better price......i havent seen or heard it either, so this could be way off.
  6. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Yeah Chucktx that was exactly my thoughts initially as to what "stored" means. I just talked to the guy on the phone and it is his, 2nd bike that he thought he wanted or the wife would ride but it hasn't evolved that way for them. And "stored" means sitting next to the other bike covered in a heated garage. But I agree with your mention of the possible fluid issues, but doesn't appear to be anything that could not be resolved without too much effort. Thanx for chiming in.
  7. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Well I went with the 02, picking it up tomorrow. Rode fine, looks good and only 1700 miles.....
    Soon to be back on the road.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Congrets on the scooter , just make sure all the fluides get change & double check for age on the tires good luck & have fun riding
    :cool:
  9. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Good luck with the new scoot. Like mentioned before, give it thorough goin over before you hit the highway, cause you certainly don't want to "hit the highway" if you know what I mean.....post some pics when you can.
  10. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Congrats... Keep the tire side down!!!:)
  11. bdfin

bdfin New Member

All went well, picked it up, had to trailer it 120 miles to get home, then checked it over thoroughly and went for the initial test ride(s), which will be shorter to make sure me and the bike are all good. It rides and runs well. I will try and post pics in a couple days as I'll be out of town (dang it) the next couple days.
  12. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

You bought a great basic bike. Watch the seals/gaskets for leaks beings it's been sitting. Change out ALL of the fluids including a full exchange of the brake fluid because it will absorb moisture while it sat. Check the tires/sidewalls for any dry rot or cracking. Once you're sure it is totally sound, ride it like you stole it.
  13. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Thanks guys for the extra pointers on what should be done. I'll make sure to get er done to have safe and enjoyable ride time, which won't be happening the rest of the week cause of work, but I can get the fluid changes done and get out there maybe on the weekend.
  14. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Good for you! Git-r-done and hit the road!
  15. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Finally got a pic posted in the gallery, and after a few short rides found a few loose screws here and there, but so far all is well with my 1 week old purchase. Thanks again for the pointers. I changed the tranny and chain case fluid today ( not that hard ). Will get crankcase done this week. Do you guys use any locktite or other substance when you're putting the plugs back in. The owners man. calls for it.
  16. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

about lock tite

Congrats on your new bike. I bought a 2000 FLSTF Fat Boy with less than 4m miles and had no seal leaks so far I used no locktite when changing the oils but did go full synthetic in all 3 holes.I also bought new O-rings for all plugs.
    Its been 2 months and no leaks for what its worth. ENJOY the ride
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

when i change fluids, i check/change the oring, and always clean the plug and use thread sealant....
  18. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

Clean the treads real good, install a new o-ring and use pipe thread sealant. just put a small dab around the base and use your finger to spread an even coat around the plug withought making a big mess that will splooge out when you screw in the plug.
  19. stevenh

stevenh New Member

Congrats... nice looking bike... !
    Steve
  20. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

good lookin scoot ride hard and stay safe:cool: