1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

03 FLHPI Chirp

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, May 20, 2009.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago when going up an exit ramp I got a chirp when I geared down and let the clutch out, didn't happen when I just backed off the throttle. It only happened that day, until yesterday, when I got home and as I turned off the bike it chirped. Most of my riding has been in cold 40- 50F and wet going back and forth to work 60 mile round trip.
    40* today but not raining... yet anyway, I'll see if it does it again.
    The front exhaust nut and stud are pretty rusty, looks like it's never been off, I'm thinking an exhaust leak....any other ideas?? Thanks.:devil:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

from what area of the bike did the noise come from?? it is possible an exhaust noise. does it sound like a metal noise? or a wind noise? perhaps a ride bell?
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My Bell did it once then I put it on a tie wrap
  4. Lucifer

Not a ride bell, none on it. Didn't rain yesterday so at a set of lights I bent over to have a listen and there was all kinds of chirpin goin on, not as loud as when I killed the engine the day before. Chirp or squeal is the best I can describe it from the engine area,but other than the little chirpin I heard at the stop lights, nothing at all when downshifting or killing the engine. I'm starting to thing its the rubber motor mounts. I guess it sounded something like the squeal you sometimes get when you shut down a compressor. The bike since I got it spent more time running in rain than sun and has a lot of wet road spray on it. Is it possible it's the rubber mounts squealing because of the heavy salt air(Atlantic Coast) mud and road grime?? My buds changed the name of it from "cop king" to "dirty cop bike"
    Maybe its just trying to tell me to clean it up.
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

You might want to check out the rear mount for the exhaust pipe under the bag. My bike loves to ride in the rain and snow and I had some serious chirping going on and traced it to the rubber mount under the bag. I used some lubricant t quiet the squesk for a while but the rubber is hard now and likely needs to be changed out..some WD 40 on the rubber should quiet it down for a bit..then you'll know.....hope this helps.
  6. duke76

duke76 New Member

I have heard of this also, definetly worth a try, Todd
  7. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I've been getting the chirp on decel and it seems to be temperature related. Once it warms up it doesn't do it anymore.
    I keep thinking it is the start of a vacuum leak but I can not find any leaks.
    I'll keep an eye (or ear) on the exhaust rubbers. thx.

I've heard it many times over the years. usually after I wash the bike and some parts are still wet. Once it drys the chirp always went away. :confused:
  8. hddoc94565

hddoc94565 New Member

Make sure that the strap that hangs the muffler is centered or baised to the front of the MC, it needs this room for heat expansion. if it starts to bind up when hot it will transfer vibs in to the bags and mounts. also put a drop of lube on the ends of stab links (dont forget the top) as these will start to sing as they wear.and dry out, check the ends to make sure they are not loose if they are they will need to be replaced. also make sure front mount hasn't colapsed. if it still has the old style the sleeve tears loose. you should be able to see a gap between the mount and the front mounting plate. Hope that gives you some places to look chasing noises can be a bitch. Good Luck!
  9. Lucifer

Thanks fellas, I'll check and lube the links and exhaust rubbers, yeah doc chasing noises can be a bitch,they can be coming from one place but sound like somewhere else.
    BTW since I installed the Stage 1(V&H Ovals,SE Breather and SE Pro Race Fueler) it really woke her up and mileage went from 38-40MPG to 41-43 MPG, dialing in the fueler was easier than tuning a carb.:) :devil:
  10. 1988flhtc in nfld

1988flhtc in nfld New Member

hey lucifer, passed my practical weld tests yesterday , went in and wrote for my journeyman this morn .felling confident. my bike chirped this year also, in the rain gearing down seems like, my mech.guy said right away grease rearrubber pipe mount under bag, and it sounds like it comes from front left side.
  11. hddoc94565

hddoc94565 New Member

This came to me about 2am couldn't sleep, do you still have stock head pipe installed? check the welds as these have a tendency to crack where its hard to see unless you get up close amd personal. this will sing to you to. will chrir or hiss or sound like noisy lifter. exhaust leaks do funny things.
    Good luck
  12. duke76

duke76 New Member

My factory Y pipe cracked a few times, welded it then cracked again, IIRC it did make a little noise, now it is replaced with Fullsac duals, Todd
  13. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

The ex has an '03 Road King (Firefighter Special). He had the chirp and it turned out to be a broken front motor mount.
  14. Lucifer

Definitely gonna check the mounts, no rain for 2 days in a row:D and what I'm getting now is just a little chirp or it sounded like a little whistle maybe when I kill the engine. Thanks for all the tips on where to find the annoying noise, I'm working 6 days a week now:gah: so getting the time to check it out is tough, I'll let you know what I find, don't know if I'll find it today after work ....but I'm know for sure I'm gonna find a BIG box of Beer:roflmao:

Way to go 88 NL on passing the test,good luck getting your ticket!
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
  15. Tomflhrci98

Hey Lucifer,
    Did you ever find what that "chirp" sound was?
    I think I have the same thing and I am about to pull my throttle body off to replace the o rings.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,
    Tom
  16. Lucifer

No,I didn't...most of the squeaking was from the muffler mounts and when the weather got dry for a couple of days most of the chirpin was gone .....the bike is running good so I haven't got to looking for the chirp I occasionally get when I shut her down(honey do list is too long) let me know how you make out..
    How's your buddy coming along??
  17. Tomflhrci98

That crazy S.O.B. Get this, he crashes last Thursday night, breaks 7 ribs in multible places, punctures his lungs, 2 days in the hospital with a tube in his side to drain fluid from a collapsed lung, spent the rest of the week at home and Friday he's out bar hopin and slammin beers and he's 49 for christ sake.:D
    After 25 years of being beat down by the old lady, he's finally learning to live again. Now he wants a Fatboy. I wonder if he'll get it before or after the divorce. :roflmao:
  18. Lucifer

:roflmao: So he's acting like he's 24 again, still gonna hurt like hell, when the booze wears off:roflmao::D If I were him, I'd stash the cash and wait 'till she's gone;)
  19. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Yeah man... I am going through the same bit... Wife left me, saying that she's gonna take the house, bike and Jeep from me. All those things were purchased before we got married. In NC, she has a marital portion, but she can't take them from me... Well I ain't doing nothing till it's final... My lawyer said to lay low and not to piss her off. That's exactly what I am attempting to do... Good luck to your bud... And man, sounds like Toby Keith's "I'm not as good as I once was...... But I'm good once as I always was..":)
  20. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

mwelch, She will also get half your retirement to. Yep, life's a bitch and then you die. Been through the whole 9 yards of a bad divorce several years back. The women after 16 years divorced still to this day tries to cause hate and discontent between me and my daughter, don't understand it. :gah: