1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

03 FLHTPI high idel

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Oct 26, 2008.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

mt 03 E glide it still ideling way to high I have repalced the intake gaskets/donuts & the heat sensor it help A good deal , but still idels at 15Hundred to 2k & was not like that a few weeks back
    Will the idel it / air control sensor or the throttle kit position sensor be the problum ? together or apart , I called the HD dealer & together they about $100 Oh ya sometimes it will hesatate on take off
    :gah:
  2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

you my want to check the vechicle speed sensor (vss).if its dirty with metal fragments the bike will tend to idle high:devil:
  3. cowboy

thank's skull but that was cleaned as well still the high idel :gah: Just can't aford to hit the dealer for the hook up to tell me witch sensor right now have to much going out for repairs from IKE :cussing: Bike has not always done this that's what make me think it's a sensor
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  4. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

a diagnosics manual is a great boook to have with efi. near as i can tell from my readings the vss sets the idle hope that helps. if you try to set with the set screw it'll throw a code in a heartbeat:devil:
  5. cowboy

The Bike has not showen any codes , I have the Service & parts manual's ,& they both show the Vss in the tran's
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

way in understand it; the bike won't throw a code till the the sensor useless. in the meanwhile the sensor could be sending a weak or strong signal to the ecm. i have heard that hd's go through their share of trottle position sensors. i know how you feel. like a shot in the dark:devil:
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

MM efi is a pia

Common sensors problems are

TPS
    Engine Temp
    IAC

Try cleaning the sensors and the throttle plate make sure it's not binding,
    you can always reset the idle plate stop screw but is' a work around and the problem will only get worse...
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

HRK the '03 is Delphi, first year for it in HD's. Still the same common sensor problems tho, right?? What about the VSS sensor, could that cause high idling too??
    Hope you find the problem soon cowboy. I'm also interested since I have an 03 efi.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

MIght be I can never remember what year they cut over

It sounds like an adjustment is in order.
  10. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

there is a "IAC" port at the top inside of your induction intake which can get clogged and stuck, trying cleaning with carb cleaner, cycle the ing. a few times between spraying. IMO it gets that way from the way the engine is vented into the intake:devil:
  11. cowboy

I went & ordered the TPS today , it should be in by Friday , I'll try cleaning the IAC skull Thank's for that one
    HRK the butterfly works real good like it should
    But when I had it T body off to put the gaskets in I cleaned it inside & out real good with carb clearner I'll just keep pluging along one at a time to see what the real coulpret is & let us all know here
    :rant:
  12. cowboy

EFI interchangable

Does anyone know if the efi system from A 07 will fit A 03? I need one HD part # 27603-01 , I don't know the PT# from the 07 it's on the bay with a low bid & 14 hr to go
    Thanks