1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

04 fatboy exhaust, looks,sound or performance

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hugo, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Hugo

Hugo New Member

:D Hey guys.something to think about when buying pipes. First thing i did when i bought bike. Stage 1 kit ,you know air cleaner, rejet carb and of course pipes.Vance+Hines short-shots to be exact ,were bought with only one thing on my mind looks first then sound ,never gave performance a second thought.Heres the good part,decided after all the reading and research that the cam chain had to go.just thinking that my cam chest was a ticking time Bomb gave me the willys.You know the story cam tensioners ,extra resistance on chain.I just didn't need the extra headaches:banghead: So my plan, switch to Andrews gear drive and Bob woods TW 6G bolt in cams,and of course rejet carb. Perfect ,now for the bad news,put bike on dyno and all horse power and torque went down the toilet.Mechanic was at his wits end:witsend: First thing he checked for was sumping.cracked bolt on bottom of engine case ,good news only a couple of ounces.Next step look at exhaust,he said point blank your problem is exhaust related. To restricted engine cant breath.Took out baffles imediate improvement not great but improvement none the less.Said try the Vance+Hines Pro Pipe HS.If it doesn't work ill take it off.I said go for it. Now the greatest news,back on the dyno bike goes from 63 hp to 86 hp and from 79 torque to 93 torque.All really because of the pipes,said the most important part of your system is the exhaust. So next time you guys are considering pipes ask your self what do you want looks,sound or performance.Had to pay an additional 700.00 for pipes,but well worth it. 23 hp increase 14 torque not bad for just cams and exhaust guys.Next year maybe 95 kit, already half way there .Just bore my barrels new valve springs, pistons and some head work.Cant wait.love that torrrrrque.Use your head guys not your ears and eyes.Pro Pipe HS rules.:D
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Hugo welcome

Yes that's one of the first things we buy and not always the best performer.

Most of us buy for sound and looks, once you get bit by the HP/TQ bugs well you know the rest.

V&H longshots are even worse for making power, the 2-1 are good for making streetable power.