1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

04 Sportster 1200 carb fart

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Roadster guy, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

2004 Sportster Roadster, Screamin Eagle intake with K&N filter, Screamin Eagle II pipes, Dynojet kit with 175 main. Idle about 850rpm and mixture screw about 3 1/2 turns. Once warmed up and after 15-20 secs at 1800rpm, closing throttle and giving a quick snap open makes the engine give a backfire in the carb and the slide diaphragm is beginning to show a burn mark. It is enough of a backfire to usually stall the engine. I ordered the CV tuner kit today to replace the Dynojet kit that came with no pilot jets. Will this take care of it or is it normal? Seems dangerous to merge with traffic right now.
  2. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

you too lean down low,go with a 45 or 48 slow jet
  3. Roadster guy

Thanks for the info, just bought a new slide piston and other parts on order.
  4. podsman

podsman Member

45 low jet 180 main w/cv emulsion tube and right needle adjustment and she'll run like a scalded ape.
  5. Roadster guy

Should I have to readjust the float level or would stock float height be OK? I've never felt fuel starvation at higher RPMs, and usually about 65mph is where I spend most time on the highway. I assume by needle adjustment you mean the mixture screw.
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Float level will be fine.
  7. Roadster guy

Thanks, now I just need to pray to the Canada Post Parcel Gods that I'll get my carb parts in time to make Atlanticade this weekend!
  8. whacker

whacker Active Member

I run a 48 in my ironhead.