1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

04 Sportster

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Jammer, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Jammer

Jammer New Member

04 Sportster Carb

I've read somewhere that the 04-06 sportster stock CV carb has a needle that doesn't need replaced like some of the previous leaner ones. Bike seems a little lean on light throttle and has a 45 idle jet. The idle seems rich enough but wondered if the needle should be replaced?
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I am a fan of the 46 pilot. There are needles that Ken makes as well that could solve this problem.
  3. Jammer

Jammer New Member

Ya agreed, was thinking of buying a matched carb kit. I'd like to talk with Ken and find the best suited for my bike.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you can email or pm him.........
  5. Jammer

Jammer New Member

Sounds like a good idea, I sent him an email, thanx.
  6. Jammer

Jammer New Member

I got my kit yesterday and got it installed. What the kit called out for free flow exhaust and breather on an 883 was a 44 idle pilot and 175 main. I originally had a 42 pilot and I swaped in a 45 some time ago. I followed their directions and also installed the new needle. Wow, was impressed. I can lug the bike in corners now and it pulls like a train. I used to have to use the choke a bit even restarting the bike hot. I'd roll the throttle on and it seemed to lean out a bit even with the 45 pilot. Thats all gone now. I'm now just fine tuning the idle mixture screw. With the old 45 pilot I had the mixture screw out 2 1/4 turns. With the new needle and 44 pilot I have it turned out 1 1/2 turns but think it may be a little light. I get a little decel pop every now and then especially on heavy down shifts. The 1 1/2 turns was right between the bog and reving up but think it still may be a little lean. Any thoughts?
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011