1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

06 CVO Ultra issue

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Blockhead97, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Blockhead97

Blockhead97 New Member

Hey all, I haven't posted in a while.
    Just thought I'd through this out there to see if anyone has any thoughts as to what could be wrong.

Ridin home on my 06 SE Ultra Classic, I noticed that the bike was making some new noises. Sounded like the pinging from low octane fuel to me, but I always run premium and even though there was that ocasional noise it still ran great.
    Well, I just get over a mountain pass and come to a stop at an intersection. I go to take off and it starts popping out the exhaust, sort of like a back fire but not as loud. Luckily I was only a mile or so from my house, but all the way there I had to feather the throtle and clutch to make it.

Later when it was cooled off, I pulled the plugs and found the front one to be black and wet with fuel. The rear one was dry and white-ish.

Been going through my head as to what could be causing this, since the shop isn't open for a few days.

The bike has an HD race tuner, and SE muffs - thats about it as far as mods.

Right now I am thinking the ECM may have gone bad? I don't know at this point.

I did just get back from riding it all the way up from SoCal to Montana and back which where I ran into a lot of cold (snow) weather, but it ran like a top the whole trip with not even a thought of something maybe wrong with my bike. But yesterday I went to the Palm Springs bike rally, and most of the day was a 105 degree day. On the way home from that is where this trouble started.

Thoughts anyone?
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I'd try new plugs before i did anything else, you can get them at any auto parts store, may not be what you want but will be new and cheaper than the H-D store just to try them out. I'd get Champions, all though I am running NGK's in my bike right now.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

always do the easiest/cheapest first........
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Are you sure that you got premium in the tank. ? Try filling it back up with premium first
  5. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Plugs would be a good start. Sounds like your over fueling the one cylinder. Maybe a bad injector (stuck open) or dirty.
  6. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

You definatly need to change the plugs and may also need new plug wires. Make sure the connection at the top of the plug is tight. The last place I'd expect the problem is the ECM. Coil breakdown is far more common.
  7. FLHTbiker

If it has not done this in the past it may very well mean you got a load of bad gas. I would change the plugs and ride it and see it it gets better. I say this because it happened to me once and it was either some bad gas or they gave me regular.
  8. Blockhead97

Blockhead97 New Member

I hear ya bout the bad gas idea.
    But I filled up almost a hundred miles before this happened, while riding in 100 degree heat and going up and down mountain passes with a passenger.
    I've been there when I've been unlucky enough to get a load of garbage fuel, and I would notice it pretty darn quick. So I can pretty confidently say it's not fuel grade related.
    A buddy of mine showed me how to get error codes off the odometer, and there were a couple. I'm no late model HD mechanic, so it's at the shop right now.
    From my description to the ticket taker at the service desk, he said it sounds almost like a stuck/faulty injector. That's the last I've heard so far, since I've been busy with other stuff. Plus I told the shop that I'm in no hury to get it diagnosed and repaired, since they were pretty loaded up on the service sheet.

I will let y'all know what the final fix was.
  9. Blockhead97

Blockhead97 New Member

Well... It's been a sad day indeed.
    Got word from the shop, and it's not good.

Apparently one of the cam bearings spun inside the case and pretty much trashed the case. There is metal shavings through out the motor, and the shop is saying minimum of 5k worth of parts and labor.

The shop is calling Harley to see if they can do something, since this is not a case of abuse or oil starvation. Harley offers rebuilding of their standard motors, but not on their CVO 103 motor and that's what the shop is going to see about. They are hoping that since it's only a 2006, and it is a screaming eagle ultra classic. That Harley may take interest in seeing what happened, but I can only hope and pray at this point.

Being that I am unemployed, pretty much any big ticket repair is too much for me. If HD doesn't offer to do some thing to ease the pain of repair, then I am just going to be forced to put the scoot in deep storage untill I get back on my feet financially.

I'll keep you all posted on what the outcome will be.
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

That is a real bummer, hope H-D does something for you.
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that sucks!!!!!!! i hope all turns out good for you......
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

good luck ,I hope HD does you good
  13. FLHTbiker

Wow that really blows. HD should step up to the plate as there were several issues with the 103 with the 06 year. Friend of mine had the exact same thing happen and his warranty had just expired. HD wouldn't help out but he didn't push it with them which is what you will probably need to do. Hope you get back on your feet real soon. Let us know how things go.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would contact the MoCo and discuss it nicely with them right now they are in
    a position where they cannot afford to loose customers and a CVO customer
    is a high level customer.

the 103 did not have problems, it is the 110 that has all the issues.

HD rebuilt a friends 110 because it blew the head gasket (common problem) and they have done more. He's had a bunch of nagging little problems and called HD last week they apologized and called the dealer to go to his home, pick it up for free and take back to go over completely

He's had security fobs go out
    Front turn signals burn out, found out, when it rains or you wash the bike they fill with water
    Entire shifter assembly come out and get destroyed on the road
    inner primary damaged when shifter came out (dealer never checked and factory never tightened)
    Engine rebuild

So I would contact the MoCo even though the Dealer is and file a complaint, along the lines of "hey you know i bought your top of the line most expensive motorcycle because it comes with everything, and I expected to get the best of the best, now, from no fault of my own, I need to buy a new $5000 engine because of an internal part failure from a fully stock 103 bearing failure that bearing was installed at the factory,

say stuff like " don't you think that the engine is designed to last more than x miles and 3 years?

Do it nice these gal get all kinds of calls including mad raving lunitics, stay cool until its time to not be cool...

Here is the contact info

To contact the Motor Company directly, please write:
    Harley-Davidson Customer Service
    3700 W. Juneau Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI 53208
    To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer service representative call (414) 343-4056.
  15. FLHTbiker

According to our dealer here they said the 103 did have some motor issues with cam bearings. My friends 06 103 motor did the same thing while he was in North Dakota leaving him stranded. He rented a U-haul and brought it home. HD would not stand behind it as it was out of warranty. He got it fixed and sold the bike.

Contacting HD as Hotroadking said and in that manner is your best approach.
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I had not heard the cam bearing issue on the 103

See it's why everyone should upgrade the cams with new torrington bearings...

If there is a problem with the bearings, then, if HD won't fix it I'd get an attorney to take them to small claims ct and demand a copy of all complaints and fixed bearings on 06 CVO 103's....
  17. Blockhead97

Blockhead97 New Member

UPDATE:

Harley is sending an entirely new engine to replace the broken one - FREE!:D
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

WOW… that is great news,
    I had GM do that once for me with a 6.5 turbo diesel,
    Did you have to get huffy with them? Just like a new bike now.
  19. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Surprised, but happy for you I think you should buy a lotto ticket today cause that's pretty lucky!
    The MOCO isn't known for free motors especially for one out of warranty.
  20. Blockhead97

Blockhead97 New Member

I don't know the details yet as to what it took to get HD to send the new mil, but I am not complaining since I am just going to have to cover the labor costs in getting the equipment replaced by the dealer.

The phone call was quick from the dealer, he just said no more worries HD is sending you a new motor. When I get to the dealer in a few days, I will see about what they had to say/do to get HD to cough up a new replacement.

As for me, I didn't have to flame HD at all. I was waiting for the dealer to get back to me on their result of dealing with HD, and if they were going to tell me that I was going to be SOL. Then yes, I was prepared to raise hell with HD. But forunately it looks like I won't have to do that now.