1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

'07 Exhaust warrenty questions

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by halln, Aug 13, 2006.

1. halln

halln New Member

I had a conversation with my local harley dealer a while back about the '07 models and they told me that any changes to the stock exhaust and air flow would void the warrenty,yet while at sturgis I saw a couple of '07s that had V&h pipes,I tried to get a straight answer from the reps at the harley display ,but was told that they didnt recommend any changes to the exhaust or air flow, but stopped short of saying it would void the war. I am thinking of purchasing an '07 and would like to install some V&H true duells,but not at the expense of my warrenty. Any help would be appreciated,thanks

P.S. I own a '04 fatboy with a power commander , stage 1 kit ,with V&H bigshot staggards.And I test rode a '07 Fatboy ,with the 96 inch-6 speed combo,and was very impressed with the power and clutch improvements,they made very good improvements,just my imput thanks again !
  2. edgehaha

edgehaha New Member

The only advice I have is that the dealer is full of crap. If what you do say run you engine too lean cause you bought new pipes but didn't solve the fuel problem and you screwed up your engine by running it too hot that is your fault and it wont be covered. But if the engine siezes up cause the oil pump failed or something like that, that will be covered under warranty.

I'm sure dealer would love to reflash you ecm and give you new slip ons in a second and cover it under warranty.

If you want to do any after market stuff to an 07, you might want to wait another 8 to 10 months. However, you might be able to get away with doing the exhaust on a dyna cause the only major change I know of is the 96 cu. in. engine. The dyna already got the closed loop O2 sensor in 06. The power commander already deals with this issue with O2 sensor eliminators. But, you like big fat Soft Tails so your best bet is to wait till V & H works out all the bugs on the 96B or what ever they call the softtail engine now.
  3. halln

halln New Member

Thanks for the reply ,I am thinking of an '07 ultra classic though,and if anyone would have a website or location I might look for a good used timeout camper trailer it would also be appreciated,thanks
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

07's have more EPA issues, dealers are now under EPA regulation (always have been but mostly ignored) and if they make changes to the exhaust can be fined up to $10K a day for each violation.

So there will be fewer dealers willing to take the risk, I know in CA reports have been made that some dealers have been hit with big fines.

You will be able to put any pipes on you want just know that it could cause problems for you if you need to be certified by the state for emissions.

I would get whatever you want and keep the stock pipes, you can always put them back on if you have an issue.

BTW As was said under Magnusson Moss with the FTC the manuf has to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure to thier machine to void the warranty.

So if your trans takes a dump or your guages don't light up, having aftermarket mufflers didn't cause that to happen. So they can't simple void a warranty across the board.

Now you put on V&H pipes and a Ness big sucker and it goes lean and burns a hole in the piston (extreme example) a case could be made that your addition of the parts caused that problem.