1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

07 HD touring rides

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jul 16, 2006.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

We'll the 07 Harley bikes are at the dealer and there are some big changes especially in the motor department. All bikes have a 96 inch stroker motor with a six speed tranny except for the sporster and the V-Rod. I heard stock HP is around the mid 80's. That's the good part plus the six speed.

The bad part is the mufflers, a full catalytic muffler is now in all bikes and the dealers can't mess with them. I think CD was talking about the mufflers in another thread.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  2. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

The '96 has the same flywheel as the 103. All you will need to go to the big bore, is the top. It's a closed loop system now too, with O2 sensors. Not sure how that effects the overall, or the mufflers. Time will tell. I'm keeping what I have for now, no plans to trade.
  3. CD

CD Guest

4. SK

SK New Member

I like the new VRod "Night Rod Special" with that 240 series rear tire..nice.

Looks like some nice changes for HD that might put a crimp on some aftermarket companies.
  5. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

I'm not too good at interpreting the stats in the tech specs, so I'm hoping someone can answer my questions.

I was told that the new 6-speed trannys are just breaking up the old range into six instead of five, rather than adding an overdrive. Is this true, and if so, why would they want to do this?

Also, is it true that the 96 is just a lengthened stroke over the 88, while the 103 is bored up as well? Or is the 96 bigger bore too?
  6. SK

SK New Member

According the link CD gave, 6th gear is a 1:1 ratio. Usually overdrive is slightly less than 1:1. Not sure what 5th gear ratio is on '06 and before, but it kinda looks like they shortened the gears to put 6 in the total range of the old 5 speed.

My Royal Star's 4th and 5th gears are OD, with 4th slightly less than 1:1. 5th is useless unless you're going full freeway speeds, but than again..that's what it's for.
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I went into the HD site and checked gearing for their touring models and here is a comparison.

This is HD gear specs on a 06 model. I like the N/A on the 6th hmmm,

1st 10.110

2nd 6.958

3rd 4.953

4th 3.862

5th 3.150

6th N/A

07 gear ratio specs,
    1st 9.312

2nd 6.421

3rd 4.774

4th 3.926

5th 3.279

6th 2.790

You can see each gear changed a bit on the 07 over the 06.
  8. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

Thanks, SK and Marc.
  9. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

I was told the same thing about the final ratio.... but that was on the tranny. My understanding is that they also changed the primary ratio, and the two work in conjunction to give the final ratio an overdrive. I was told that 6th would drop RPM by about 300-400 over the 5 speed.

This info came from a tech that had just been to Harley on the new models and changes. Although I think he's pretty sharp, it is second hand info.
  10. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

'07s

I was at a local shop yesterday and the owner says there are going to be some great buys on used bikes when the 'O7s start coming out. Everybody seems to be hot to get the 96 inch with a six speed and are panting to get one. Talking about trading theirs in as a down payment. I'm ok with what I have........for now.
  11. Goose

Goose New Member

Nah, if you give 'em more, they'll wanna make it better. More ain't never enough or they wouldn't be able to sell turbochargers for Hayabusas. Besides, when was the last time a Hog went by my house that didn't rattle the windows? :rolleyes: Nah, I'm sure the aftermarket will do just fine. Nobody, but nobody can ride a stock Hog, no matter how much torque and horsepower it makes. They will always want more. If I can ever get to afford a glide, I'll be the only one on the road with stock pipes I bet. ROFL! How the heck do some of those guys hear the stereo????:rolleyes:

What I see here, though, is a step up in load totin' ability for stock tourers. That's a good thing! Probably modding a bike, now, will not be mandatory just to tote a trailer. Should be WAY more'n enough torque for trailer, sidecar, ol' lady, whatever.
  12. SK

SK New Member

I hear ya Goose, but it seems like there'd be less to do than before. It just seems like HD is trying to make it more difficult to make mods than before.

Ya know..Sleepy (last I remember) is riding with stock pipes on his EG. I know I'll never put aftermarkets on my FJR as I just love the stealth ride I get.
  13. Goose

Goose New Member

I don't mind a mellow roar, but there's this bright yellow Shadow 1100 in town, guy works out at the plant. I used to see him at the gate out there, worked another shift than me. He's got straights and I swear I've never heard a louder, more obnoxious motorcycle in my friggin' life. The guy is WFO any time he's not slowing down, too. I'll be watchin' TV or talkin' to the wife and that guy will come flyin' by and I can't hear myself think! That's ridiculous and sooner or later it's guys like that that are going to bring down the law on everyone.

I've got stock pipes on all my bikes. I may put a pipe on the SV in the future if the stockers get really grungy or something, but they're stainless and ain't bad after 4 years of ridin'. SVs have a guttural Ducati V twin exhaust note with an M4 pipe on 'em, really kinda spine chilling, but I prefer the quiet. No need to attract the law on a "crotch rocket". Friggin' squids and their reckless wheelies have done for sport bikes what loud pipes are starting to do for cruisers, bad PR all around. The Wing'll get something probably pretty soon. Already cracked the pipe on it, but it's still ridable. Was going to the gun range one day and banged it on a culvert. :mad: The pipes on that bike are STILL stock and it was new in 1983.

I think it's great that HD has finally got some usable power on the touring bikes. Now, if you don't wanna, you don't havta mod 'em just to pull a trailer with the ol' lady on the back. With the old motors, they were a little anemic with a good load goin' up in the mountains. If I get one, I'm with Sleepy, no loud pipes on MY tourer. I wanna be able to hear the jams. :cool: I'm still workin' on the lotto.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  14. CD

CD Guest

H-D throws curves to the aftermarket nearly every year. Sometimes it is a minor thing like new brakes. Sometimes it is a whole new engine like going from EVO to TC. It takes a while, but the aftermarket comes back strong as ever.

Something to consider is that HD has never made SE exhaust so.....someone is now making them for HD. Premium seats are not made in house nor is the SERT. Sure, the companies they work with are not allowed to release product immediately but they have a head start.

I think an equally challenging problem are the new EPA rules. The performance companies are either or will be working on new products that will comply. I had an interesting conversation with Keith Terry of Terry Components. According to Keith, his Terminal Velocity 2 complies with the new rules because it cannot be adjusted and is sealed.

If your up Sturgis way, they are on Vendors row and have an open house every day at their business in Spearfish. They are great folks and make you feel welcome.
  15. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

07 models

the 07's are out and yes they have made a lot of changes, i just ordered a 07 road king custom screaming eagle, 110 cubic inch (1800cc) 115 ft. pds. of torque, it also has the 6 speed tranny, with the closed loop system, but no cat. system in the mufflers. 2nd thing i will change will be the pipes, may go with rhineharts this time. oh, 1st thing will be a mustang seat (gotta keep momma happy) or nobody's happy. can't wait to get my hands on the 07 and my butt in the seat. hope to have and be in myrtle beach for the fall rally.

live easy, ride hard
    DKIN21