1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

07 street glide issues

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 07bluerider, Mar 22, 2013.

1. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

I ride an 07 street glide. Has any one else but me had starter kickback problems. I was told that year model had some issues with starter kickback. Can't get dealer to tell me much.

I've also experienced the 07 wobble. Any thought how to get rid of the wobble and starter kickback problems?:banghead:
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Wobble is due to a few issues

steering head neck bearing too loose, tighten the nut on the top, or, low pressure or bad rear tire, low pressure front tire. It's not a design issue it's a service issue.

Starter kickback could be to low voltage from battery, check the battery if it's original it might be charging but not holding enough of a charge, get it load tested, replace it if necessary, HD AGM are very good, put a Deltron Battery tender on the bike so when it's not being ridden the battery is kept charged, your alarm, and other electronics draw power even when it's turned off.

Battery Tender has a harness that connects to the battery so you just have to connect a harness and not take off seat to hook up. Extends battery life

Battery Tender 021-0128 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive

If you need a new battery, get one from Deka-East Penn, they make HD battery AGM
    and it's less expensive

Heres a link to Deka's dealer locator

Industrial Agent Locator
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Original battery??Check connections and grounds,load test the battery...simple stuff first...

Haven't had bagger wobble yet....there's stabilizer kits out,but first I'd check front motor mount and swing arm bushings...check the torque on the lock nut....
    Do you have the Service Manual??
  4. hotroadking

Yeah before you go tossing money at the bike with
    stabilizers check all the bits to make sure they are good.
  5. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

Well let me explain in a little more detail. Bought bike new in October of 06. First trip was to bad lands down in south texas and notice wobble then. I have been told on several occasions by HD that it had to do with frame design. So long story short its had a wobble since day 1. Bike only wobblers taking corner at higher speeds. I will check steering head and other mention service related advise.

As far as starter kickback. That is intermittent. One of those thing that causes me to cringe every time I start my bike. I have always kept battery on a tender. I have installed new battery. Even with new battery it has done it. I probably should have the the load test done. Starter kickback has also been a long on going challenge as well. Installed new starter ring clutch basket at about 20,000. Bike only has 38,800 on it. Once again HD has told me that the 07's have had reputation for that but don't offer any solution.
    Charging system???
  6. Lucifer

Maybe Harley cheaped out on the star washer that year.;)Give it a once over ...make sure everything's clean and tight...
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

check your triple tree torque, the steering neck as hrk said could be some what loose, and I seen bad front tire mentioned some good things to check, also toss it on your jack and check the bearings and the spokes if you have them. as for the kick back is there any compession upgrades? does it happen all the time or once in a while? Does the bendix struggle when it engages?
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Definitely check the head neck bearing. It may not have ever been set properly by Harley. You also may have a bad front tire, not the first time a new tire was bad. If the bearing is tight get that tire checked or replace it. The 07 bikes were no different than other years. Had a 07 never had that issue.
    The starting issues could be a lot of things, I would start a list and check everything. When checking the ground check it at the frame also.
    Good luck and if you find it please let us know. :D
  9. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

No compression upgrade. All stock. It does not happen all the time only once in a while. Bendix doesn't seem to struggle. Some have thought it was timing. Its as if you put your key in your car and as you crank it over your hand slipped as it was trying to start. Some time seem like the motor has to make a revolution before starting. I don't get that quick start like I hear most other bikes start. Every time I've had the dealer try to look at it it won't do it. I sit there and start it 10 times in front of them and it won't happen. I finally had to start recording it until it did it. now I have proof. I let a small shop listen to my recording and he said in 07 they(HD) had issues with starter and recommended I install a higher out put starter.
  10. hotroadking

Ok if the battery is good then check the connections make sure they are all snug at all ends.

remove the white connector from the starter, put a meter on it, positive to the wire, run the ground to the bike. Now Press the start button see what your voltage is coming down that wire and check it several times it should read over 12v. If it's way less then you may have a bad wire, bad clip on the end or bad switch in the bars.

If that checks out make sure the ground cables are connected, you should have one from the battery to a post in front of it, and one from it to the starter. I would suggest you replace the one from the starter to the frame with a longer cable and run it right straight to the battery for a better connection, this solves a lot of problems. This way you'll have the stock ground to frame from battery and a second from the battery ground side to the starter.

Make sure your wires are good you can get new grounds from Napa don't pay HD prices it's just a ground wire and NAPA stores carry them in multiple lengths.

work it that way, electrics are fun, a good digital multi meter (doesn't have to be expensive) from harbor freight or home depot, lowes will do the trick, I prefer digital so you can get an exact Voltage reading.
  11. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

when you shut the bike down do you ever hear a clack clack noise right before the motor stops rotating? if so your comp sprocket needs to be upgraded . seems lots of riders get kick back from the starter do to slop in the comp sprocket . starter seems to spin and then the comp sprocket loads the starter all at once . don't know if the 07 have the new style comp sprocket .if so replace the compensating sprocket to the se unit . also once the starter clutch kicks back a few times they are toast . replace the stock sarter clutch with a all balls starter clutch . we have abused that starter clutch last week end with a 124 . ci motor with 220 ccp and it held up so far . we tried 4 stock Harley starter cluches and they all **** the bed .
  12. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

I put a S.E, Compensator on my '09 for that kickback problem,helped quite a bit,then a new battery..Kickback gone.
  13. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

Interesting! Seems like I remember someone mentioning that long ago. I really don't feel like its any type of electrical problem. I intend on still checking all electrical but am doughtful. What did compensator run $$?? I did install a new All Balls starter a couple of weeks ago but have not been able to put it through but a couple of day of riding. Definitely starts and sounds different. Starter sound strong! I had the compensator out about two years ago and it looked fine but don't know if a person can really tell by looking at it.
  14. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

So what exactly is the compensator for and what does it do. What's it's job????
  15. baggerpaul

I think the comp is 250 bucks . some boys on the forum got a better deal from . a dealer via the internet store . I think gr Harley , that all balls starter in a nice !
  16. baggerpaul

The compensating sprocket buffers torque from trany to crank shaft , its also attached to the primary chain clutch basket and back to the crank . so it buffers the jolt to the crank during lugging and hard takes offs as well or jerk throttle riding . the early model compensating sprockets are great but you cant run them on late model motors . the later model comps have lots of wear problems. soft castings . lots of guys blame it on lack of lube and what not . but it just bull shat its a ****ty part plain and simple. cheap china crap!
  17. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

So do you think I should put one in for the hell of it and hope it all goes away. I just want to feel confident again. The kickback is embarrassing. I totally agree with the whole china crap. Not sure what American made means anymore. Parts are all from china only assembled here.
  18. Lucifer

19. 07bluerider

07bluerider New Member

Don't think I will need to buy a rotor.
  20. hotroadking

I'd still suggest you do the tests I gave you, my 124 was a beast on larger starters, the deal was it wasnt getting a good ground, big starters take more power, Pauls buddy should be running two grounds to the battery, one to frame one to starter makes a big difference and All Balls will tell you that as well.

Rule out the ground and the start button trigger wire as issues, if all the electrics are sound then move on to the comp, it is a known issue, the HD SE comp fixes that problem, but you have basically a stock engine so unless your comp is coming loose
    it should hold up fine to a stock engine even a mild one.