1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

10% Ethanol

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Chrome, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Chrome

Chrome New Member

I had a problem on my 7700+ mile trip....on my way home I was losing engine power, like it was not getting gas! Now I had 47,000 miles on her and had never changed the Fuel Filter, so Bumpus HD in Memphis quickly (in about an hour) got me a new one and no problems since.

Question....How are we going to save our bikes from all this trash?? The ethanol is now even in TX?! Solution?! Change the fuel filter every 25,000 miles like recommended I guess.

I also found a product called STARTRON at that HD dealership....its an Enzyme Fuel Treatment that can be add with each fuel up...I bought 1 bottle for 8.99. Its not found here locally though. I have used the treatment twice now for preventive measures....anyone else having this problem???

Chrome
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

not yet, but i am carburated, and your fuel injected. i think the fi systems are more prone to fuel problems, because of all the sensors/puters.............
  3. Chrome

Chrome New Member

I have enjoyed FI, but this really throws a wrench in the system! My Sportster, now Chobber is Carb so I understand....
  4. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

Hi from Mile High Denver our gas up here is very bad plus no air so I Run Amsoil QuickShot SE It for the Ethonol in our gas Our Octane is 85....87....and 91 and I have been using 87 and 91 and both have been working great at these altitudes 87 with zero pinging! And my plugs are burning just right
    I dont buy anything from Harley as far as there fluids go! Maybe a T-Shirt when Im on the road...

all gas have a certain amount of water in it the ethonol attaches itself to the water and sinks to the bottom of our tanks so our bikes start running weird! The Amsoil QS SE keeps the ethenol mixed with the gas so we are getting a better mix as it burns....great for bikes that sit around alot too!

both Carb and FI burn the same fuel the sensors only monitor the computer for a rich or lean condition
    a dirty filter is a regular part of owner maintanace....I clean my petcock filter every 2 months and make sure the gas tank is clean too!
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  5. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Thanks for the tip on Amsoil QS SE...
  6. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

no problem I run Amsoil Oil in my bikes too they run cooler and last longer then on Harley / citgo oil
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I've been running the 10% ethonal in my 03 E glide with EHI & never had a problum ,ever now & then I put some amsol P1 in the tank when I think about it , going to try the new stuff 59 pan talked about m he gave it a thumbs up awhile ago on here somewhere :D
  8. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

P1 is good stuff but was developed for larger motors quick shot se is for our smaller harder working motors

we all have to run what they sell us! sure glad I can still get leaded 110-120 octane fuel!
  9. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I haven't run ethanol in my 95" geezer glide, but the 88" in my Wide Glide was not happy with the stuff at all. My brother used to have a 600 Honda before his Heritage, and it would hardly idle on the stuff. I've been told the smaller the engine, the more problem running alcohol. I was a Mobil jobber way back when ethanol first came out. Basically then it was all carbs, but what we were told way back then was that any engine can run perfectly fine on any percentage of alcohol, providing they are tuned to run it. Probably more true now than then. Wonder what the tuning maps would look like tuned exclusively for ethanol.
  10. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

I thought all gas in this country has 10% Ethenol in it! In Germany they have 25 % Ethenol in there gas but there octane is 91 100 and 110 and it cost 3 times what we pay for our fuel!
  11. chucktx

in my neck of the woods, the counties that touch a metro county have ethanol in the gas....if i travel north one county or west and east....no ethanol.......
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I'll have to come up to see ya chuck & bring a huge storage tank for gas , anywhere down here it's all 10% E
  13. more power

more power New Member

I'm havin the same problem with both a carburetor and FI. I bumped up the main jet on the carburetor, it's a little better but still does it sometimes. The FI does it when the weather warms up a little. Up hills and on acceleration. Never had this much of a problem with these bikes doing this till I moved to the great north west. Whats worse. Ethonal or MTBE?
  14. Chrome

Chrome New Member

Bad news....in deep Southeast TX, my corner store has ethanol now...

Have a bad feeling that it will be nationwide from now on!!
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I prefer my corn on the cob....

Yep it's pretty much everywhere, a good fuel additive will help if you
    have issues.
  16. chucktx

yup, your touching harris county...........just like liberty......polk has no ethanol...
  17. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I think that people give ethanol a bad rap. One way a person could go is to switch to a set up that runs E85. E85 has an octane rating on 105, is cheaper, and can get a lot of power. The downside is that not every station has E85 and the fuel economy is not as good. I have 93 octane readily available so that is what I use, mainly because I have to because of my high compression. Every once in a while I will run a tank of AV gas though the carb. There are so many different variables that dictate how your bike runs, 10% ethanol is a small part of it. I agree with you for the most part.
  18. hotroadking

The problem I have with E85 is it isn't cheaper, it's way way way more expensive
    and the only way it's come to market is with government subsidies to the manufacturers

Without the subsidy none of them would make enough $$ to stay in business.
  19. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I would agree that the E85 set is initially expensive but here in Minnesota, at least in my home town, E85 is cheeper. In this particular case, a govrnment subsidy is a good thing.
  20. hotroadking

It's cheaper yes, but only because here in FL (and the rest of the people in the USA) are paying more money to the feds than we need to be, in order to give to guys in the midwest free money to make a product that otherwise wouldn't be cheaper and wouldn't sell..

How about we start driving on OJ Sugar and Sugar Cane E85 here but your taxes in MN go up to pay for it...

Either way we're all paying for that "cheaper ethanol"

Sorry I don't believe in subsidies for a commercially available product
    either it makes it in the market on it's own or it doesn't don't take it personally
    what I said, it's just a market discussion