1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

100,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Red Rider, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

So I took a run to Reno today, just to feel the wind and the power of my machine. Like most of us do, when we can. Stopped at my favorite cigar store, Fumare, as Life's stresses are strong and I needed some smoky relief (even though California's fires have been clogging our air for a week - sometimes it makes no sense). Since that run is over a hundred miles, I switched off the trip meter that I'm usually on (carburated, so no low fuel-low warning light) and checked out the odometer. Twenty miles from home I watched as it went from 99, 999 to 100,000 miles. Coooool. :cool:. I know I still have a few miles to go to make up for dyno runs and other mechanic's test rides, but still cool. Ol' Red, my 1999 Road King, has done her job. We've had our ups and downs, most notably on a hairpin turn in the Sierras that I have little memory off, save that I road her home with no more windshield and dangling turn signals - hit my head pretty good, I guess, going through that windshield into a tall pine. Through it all, she was with me, from California to Maine, and many other long rides. She wasn't my ride in Japan - had a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 then - nor in Florida, when I road a Sportster, but everywhere I pointed her she went and brought me back home. Got to meet fine folks like JohnnyBiker, HotRider, HarleysLR, Ironhorse, Hot01, SK and others from this site, too. Too bad some are no longer around.

I don't know how some of you can trade-up every few years, but that don't mean I haven't thought about getting a new ride. Heck, I've been married to the same babe for over 30 years, so maybe I am just monogamous by nature. Works for me, though I did move on from a earlier wife, as well as the Kawi and my Yamaha XS750 rolling death machine (if you rode one, you'll know what I mean). I do, also, ride my Suzuki DR650SE, for scouting big game - deer, antelope and elk - and it has thousands of miles on it, as well, on and off road, but nothing near Ol' Red.

My kids were toddlers when I got Red. Now they are grown and making their way in the world. Gives me more time to ride, though my old dog Luke needs me more than he should, and so limits my away time. My old lady (yeah, I'm her old man) respects my riding, which is so frickin' nice - no matter where I want to go or how long, she understands: can't be better than that. Only wants me to come back...how cool is that?

I missed a lot of riding time since retiring from the Navy in 2004. Spinal surgeries, knee, shoulder and wrist operations...felt like Humpty Dumpty, they were putting me back together again after all the damage from answering the call of duty over all those years. All took away too much saddle time, or I'd hit 100,000 miles sooner. Still a lot of cracks in the shell, but riding takes the pain away. Real fortunate that that is the case. Doc says I should ride more, since it really does ease the pain - gotta love that prescription!

So now I may get a new ride, next year, and hand Red down to my eldest son so he can put the next 100,000 miles on. Or not. Got a while still to make up my mind. She's running so good now that I may have to keep her myself. Nineteen years together, and it has been good.

Ya'll be safe out there, but not so safe ya don't ride. Live to ride, ride to live. Works for me.
    Slimjim likes this.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Great write up, I like the pass it down plan, keeping it in the family a great idea.
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

You saddle stud Red! I was the same way with my '83 and why i still have it.

i am usually not a trade every couple years but when i upgraded my iron in 2007 i jumped through a few hoops till i got my 2015. The 2001 ultra with magnelli morelli efi i'd bought in 2007 wasn't liking the increase in ethanol. The 2012 ultra was a lemon from the start. My bad. A "new" bike shouldn't have 300 miles on it, have front end wobbles at 40mph or multiple broken parts to include start/off switch, directional, tire put on backwards to name a few.

I'm good with my 2015 ultra low. Probably last bike.

Congrats watching the 99,999 turn over. Cool stuff.
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Way COOL RED! It has been an honor to meet you and carry out a friendship with you as well. It is hard to find people that enjoy riding riding riding as much as you do and you for surely fit that bill. Whenever we meet, I can be assured the riding will be good as well as the time spent.

As far as your bike goes, Red surely is trust worthy. The things that have gone wrong with your bike over a FANTASTIC 100k are just battle scars from a bike being loved. I am close to 100k on my bike as well, although I cannot take credit for the the first 49k.

Congrats on the mileage! Hoping to ride with you again soon!

P.S. Still haven't given up on our plan to ride the PCH!
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Cool story Red! I tend to think that although a new ride will offer many more comforts and features, better handling to boot, a person may still miss the first love. Although I've toyed around about getting a newer ride, I know that I wouldn't, couldn't part with my Fatboy (first Harley).
    Red Rider likes this.
  6. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Thanks, men, for your awesome responses. And I MUST sincerely apologize for not noting you, badinfluence63, on the list of great folks I've met riding & through this site. Maybe cuz I just felt like we already knew each other? Or senility? Your welcoming me into your home on my Maine run was so cool it was dream-like in my memory - no joke! That lunch was great, too! (compliments again to your very busy wife!). I do wish you and others (HRK, baggerpaul, Fatboy128, etc) weren't on the wrong coast, but I still might try a Key West run before I croak, especially if I can talk JohnnyBiker into it, and maybe meet then? Would be a year or two or three from now, but worth thinking about. The spark is lit.

I've been to all 50 states, but still haven't ridden in Alaska yet. I think it has made my bucket list. Been all around Oahu, (didn't take long), but no other islands in Hawaii, so maybe a do-over with another rental some year....when I am too old for big, long rides! I could go for all the Canadian provinces, but I think I'll just keep trying different roads in the land where Old Glory waves over. Don't think I need Mexico, though it is on the way to southern countries that would be cool to see, so won't rule anything out yet.

We will see.
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  7. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Red Rider you are the only rider i know serious about riding to Alaska...riding to Alaska is my dream ride. I got the route mapped out, tiny tent,2 saddle bag gas tanks and one 2 gallon aluminum tank. I Am up for a planned ride and would be psyched to go with you. I get 5 weeks vacation. Lets do it!!! Can't do it spare of the moment. Need to accrue the 5 weeks. And the time of year to go is important. I think i heard June/July best time to go.
  8. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

It's never really a matter of being able to convince me, it's more of a schedule kind of thing. HotRider is looking to be out of daycare soon, and I do mean soon so the longer trips will be easier to swing. The Florida Keys? Definitely no "convincing" needed.