1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.
  1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

1022.6 is the miles of the ride I did yesterday from Sidney, Nebraska (home of Cabelas, where I bought Frog Togs in the morning out of a painful learning experience) to my place here in Nevada. A hallucinagenic beat-down, but it is good to be home. Rode from Racine, Wisconsin to here (a good bit over 1900 miles) in 2 days. When the short leg of a trip is over 900 miles, ya know you're riding.

The story? Filled with grand adventure and great romance, but no one would believe it. Like much of my life...but, heh, I know it is true - which is good enough for us lone riders.

Learned a whole lot about long ridin', as the trip out wasn't much easier (three days).

Haven't cleaned Ol' Red yet, but I'll be ready to ride tomorrow!

:cheers:

P.S. Average speed of 69.2 MPH for this leg, including stops....not bad for an ol' fart on a bagger!
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Darn red that's some riding way to go
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

and I thought 675+ miles in one day was a long ways. Colorado Springs to Flagstaff, Az.
    You the man, way to go. Love them long rides.
  4. Red Rider

If ya ever want to do a 1000 miler, I think the best destination has got to be home. That was the way I planned it and it made it that much easier to stay (mostly) sane for the last couple hours. So go away at your leisure, then haul for home. Worked for me.

I'll do a piece about what I learned that makes that kind of ride easier (and harder) in a bit.
  5. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

You were in Sidney and didn't call me? :mad:

Sounds like quite a trip.
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Pretty good riding there Red. Sometimes making a long distance is easier when riding alone or with another rider that rides like you.

I did 1336 one time but that was a while back and not really wanting to ride that long at one time again. I think 600 to 650 in a day now is plenty long enough for me anymore. :)
  7. Red Rider

HOT01, I did really think strongly about looking you up there when I came up to that I-76 exit, and then the I-25, especially when the rain/sleet was coming down like a curtain, but - and no offense intended - I had had enough drama :banghead: and adventure during my trip and needed to get back home as quick as Ol' Red would take me to soothe my soul. I may have reason to be out that way again, and with far less tumult on schedule, so maybe later. I also had just changed my oil before leaving, so no need for the payback!;)

FLHTbiker - 1336 is Big-Time, but I now think I could probably match that, since I got a late start Thursday morning (0830) when I made my last trip. Don't know that I'll want to, though. Most places I plan to go are either a good bit shorter or farther than that. I was surprised that it was easier than I thought it would be, especially since I'd covered 904 miles the day before.

One thing those rides do for ya is make the measly little 130 miler to Winnemucca for this weekend's Run-A-Mucca Motorcycle Event bike rally seem like a trip around the block.
    :cheers:
  8. FLHTbiker

One thing for sure is having a seat that is comfortable for you at least for me is one big important item, when riding long distances.
    Like I said 600-650 is about as long as I want to ride anymore. My last one was when I flew into Phoenix, picked up a bike I bought. Got in picked up the bike and rode out of Phoenix at 11 AM it was 100 plus heat and headed for L.A. where it was 114 in Blythe and ended the day in Sacramento. That heat just about did me in.
  9. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Sounded like a good ride - And yer right about the 600-650 miler makin the day. At least you'll some get up and go left when ya git there.
    I broke mine 2200 miler down into 2 long 600's and the rest was short hops of 300 to 500 per day.
    Can't wait for next year and the next long haul trip. Think I'd like to head west this time and see some of the rockies.
  10. FLHTbiker

Come out to Oregon, you may not want to go back.
  11. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I understand what you mean by the drama. It can be a pain to meet up with someone when you're on the road. Many times I wished I'd never said anything. When you're traveling fast like that, there isn't a lot of time for sight-seeing.