1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

103 CI upgrade

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Nov 7, 2009.

1. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Just wondering on doing a 103 upgrade. The 96 has decent power but seems to lack torque if under 2800 rpm in 4th gear and on up. I've done pipes and a cheap tuner. I know that I would have to get a better tuner but thinking the 103 package with SE 255 cams and true duals would be a good choice. I would like to test an Ultra custom with the 103 to see what the power is like. Wondering if it would be better to find a good indy shop to do the work. Seems I've heard a few stories about unhappy customers spending a lot of money at a harley shop and not getting the engine work done correctly. Any info would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  2. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

We just traded our 09 Heritage for a 10 Ultra Limited. The Heritage had the 96 and the Ultra has the 103. There's lots of difference in the lower three mainly but then I noticed today that on the Interstate, it likes to cruise around 75. The 96 liked cruising around 70. Still being under 200 miles, I can't tell you about the high roll-on or hard acceleration. Personally I think it's somewhat improved over the 96. Hope this helps. BTW, even though I'm pleased with the power of the 103, I plan to do a Stage 1 in the Spring mainly to cool off the rear cylinder as I understand that rascal can get pretty warm sitting where it does even with the fairing vents open and an oil cooler.
    Danny