1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

117" Revisited

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 8, 2015.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, it's time to get the 117 built. I got the carb back on the Road Glide and is running. How well? I am not happy with it. While it was idling, I had Hot Rider blip the throttle and I saw smoke coming from the front cylinder tailpipe. It wasn't a constant stream of smoke, it seemed like just mainly when we juiced it a bit. To confirm, I had Hot Rider watch me when I took it for a test ride. She confirmed that when shifting from 1st to 2nd there was a puff of white bluish smoke. Since it is coming from the front cylinder, which I have been concerned with for a little while, I have elected to go ahead and start the 117" build, stick around home with the bike and ride the 98" until the 117" is ready for install.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Is that the motor you and Paul put together?? Do you think it could be just a bad valve seal??
  3. JohnnyBiker

Yes that is a strong possibility.
  4. JohnnyBiker

After talking with Paul, I sat down and thought long and hard about my approach to my dilemma. There are basically two options that I have. 1. Have a custom motor built. 2. Say the hell with it a just buy a crate motor.

Do I want to go through the build process again? Well after sitting on the computer and comparing the only 2 engines that I would ever consider putting in my bike, I could never build a custom 117 at the cost of a crate engine. Hmmm.
  5. Lucifer

So a crate engine is less money,less work and a warranty...I think I know which way I'd be going...;) SNS...
  6. JohnnyBiker

Actually I am leaning towards the 120r even though the S&S is the same price.
  7. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Johnny, this is de-sha-vu allover again for me when I read this. I went thru rebuilding my EVO then rebuilding it again with almost the same problems you mention. Then I got the V111 and it was a great engine but I had tons of hot starting issues (all balls starter clutch, $60 starter cables etc.) I could not solve and was always worried the starter motor was going to leave me stranded.

Trading it in is your best option I hate to say. Get it running with all Harley parts and the dealer will give a good price for it. They are pushing sales with 1.9% interest. I know you don't want to hear this but instead of spending $7Gs on a new engine (then its the clutch, then its a starter etc.) put it towards a new bike and sleep easy with an extended warranty.

The new bike has ABS, 6 speeds, 103 smooth engine, Engine Idle Temp Management System (i love the EITMS), Bluetooth, new frame.....
  8. JohnnyBiker

I don't disagree with you however I just like this bike's looks way too much for me to be able to do that.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well stare at the paper a bit more, I agree with Tom, at some point putting mega $$$ into a bike for whatever reason isn't a bright financial move.

I agree a crate engine is a good way to go, we talked about it early on
    a 120R or SNS 117/124, great engines, gobs of power, but they come without
    intake, so add a grand to your price for all the bits, then you'll need a new clutch rivera pro clutch, and possibly replace the rear drive belt with a chain, and your stock trans won't hold up, at minimum you need to replace the trap door because the high pressure from the racing style clutch and the tq WILL pop the main shaft bearing through the trap door.

Bike might be able to rebuilt with the same engine and components
    and fit what evers wrong, could be a piston oiler has broken, rings all of that
    isn't expensive.

If you want bulk cubes have at it, it's fun no doubt just bring two credit cards LOL
    Tomflhrci98 likes this.
  10. Tomflhrci98

There's no perfect solution that's for sure. Even I had to change bars and stuff and I gave up a lot of new stuff when I sold my RK, but I am really happy to just start and ride every time.
    I hesitate to say these things cause I think I'm just being nosy so just take it as info. The only other thing that I learned was that the dealership would not take my RK cause it didn't have all HD parts. I may have done better in the end if I was able to trade it in believe it or not.
  11. hotroadking

Tom, I took an 88 inch 00 Heritage through a 95 inch with multi cams
    then a 116, blew it up, and a 124, it went through a SE racing clutch (too hard to use for street duty) to a rivera pro clutch, two trans gear sets, etc etc etc.

I sold it as it eventually became a helicopter bike, ride for an hour, work on it for a week.

Sold it and bought the 09 for the same reason, turn on ignition, press button, ride..

85 HP working every day is better than 150 occasionally,
  12. Tomflhrci98

Amen brother!
    Does this mean we're old? lol.
    Ahh who cares, geezer glide it is!

backrest check, highway pegs check, set the bass check, turn up back speakers just a touch check, seeeya bye.
  13. hotroadking

I prefer the term edjamaketed
  14. Lucifer

No warranty with a 120R and they'd come with either the Harley "C"(Mexican) lifter or the SE, neither of which have a reputation of longevity...
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I put the stock mufflers back on my 14 CVO Limited and it's been kind of nice. Those V&H straight through mufflers had been on two previous bike and we're getting a bit loud. Don't have to crank up the music as loud to hear it now. :)
  16. JohnnyBiker

Well, as far as the lifters are concerned, that can always change easily.
  17. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

just order a 95 in from Harley warranty included
  18. JohnnyBiker

That is regression instead of progression. Lol
  19. JohnnyBiker

Yesterday I got on the phone with the MOCO herself and inquired further about the 120r. My questions surrounded the vagueness of their description of fitment concerns for an 01 bike. In their description they do not list 01 but they do for 02-06. Well, up until 09 the frames were the same so why wasn't 01 listed. They basically said it had to do with the MM fuel injection. Doesn't make sense, I have to add the induction system.
  20. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I tried to get him to get a newer model that was fuel injected before he bought the bike he has.
    Johnny will exhaust every approach and do everything the hard way before he decides to get a newer bike and do it the easy way, and the way that causes the least problems.
    The Older bikes are not only carbed bikes, but they have the Older frame. And the Smaller rear wheel.

Got a buddy that had about the same year bike that johnny has, He put a S&S 124 in it. He had to change everthing on the bike including the clutch system and starter.

Spent over 12,000 on just the moto and having it installed and all. Bike would haul ass.
    He was always working on it. Something wrong.
    He sold the bike at a INdy shop. Got less than 1/2 of what it was worth cause it was such a old bike. And it was all you could do to get 25mpg.
    When he rode with us. He was always pointing at his gas tank.
    He had about 1/4 of a tank and we all had 3/4 of a tank.

He wound up breaking down and buying a new bike. He rode it for about 10 months before he even changed the mufflers.
    Said it was getting 40 mpg all day. And in 10 months he hadn't done anything to it but have it serviced. The Oil changed and all.
    And when he hit the button it cranked.
    He could hear the new radio and hear his OL on the back.
    It was total comfort.
    He threw a lot of money away trying to keep the fastest bike on the road.
    And usually rode by himself.

When Johnny gets older and gets the Playing out of him and wants to ride more.
    He may look toward a new bike.
    But not till then. Hes stuck in a loop right now.
    Took ling enough just to get him to look at a Bagger because they was a Old mans bike and not fast enough.
    I just know the bagger will take a trip in comfort and keep on booking without doing anything to them.
    You can run 70 & 80 all day. The speed limit here is 75mph where I live