1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 27, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, as always, I think that I have my mind made up on which bike I am going to get, then I see a different bike that I like a lot and then my mind starts going in all directions.

I found a 1997 Soft Tail custom that is a really nice bike, 19k on the odom. With the 1340's what are some of the common issues with them? What is the highest displacement I can bring that bike up to without stroking it. I am also not too interested in doing any major head work to it either.

The condition and price of this bike is just right, just need a little information.

Thanks
  2. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

It doesn’t take a lot to make a 1340 (80ci Evo) SCREAM!!!!! They are good reliable engines. As far as the heads go, most people that work on Evo heads do more harm than good, they are good heads from the factory.
  3. Razor

Razor Member

I have a 97 heritage softail classic with 23,000 miles. I have no major issues but I do need a starter. The bike ran too lean when I bought it with 11,000 miles. I let her breath and she runs great. Sounds like you found a great bike. I love evos and carbs.
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Pretty bulletproof engines...with the right cam and matching head work, little bump in compression... you can have a reliable bike with lotsa torque. I've got 140K miles on my '90 Evo and only changed out the plastic breather to a S&S steel breather when I did the top end hop up about 60,000 miles ago.

Next bike I'm looking for is a 97 or 98 carbed Evo Geezer Glide...:D
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I've never had a evo but my brother has a 98 ultra & loves it been riding it for years , over this past summer he & his wife left Alb Nm & rode to canada & all over there & back , My next bike I'am thinking will be a Evo of some sort I skip that gen of harleys & went from a shovel head to the twin cam
  6. JohnnyBiker

I like the EVO myself. My Sportster is an EVO so I have a little experience with them. Just one thing that bothers me a lot is that the larger displacement bikes do not seem to get to the rpms as fast as my Sporty does, but it also does not seem that I am going 70 when i am the Soft Tail like it does on the Sporty. I know this is because of the engine difference, but man, if I could to 70 like I do with the Sporty, hold on. then the question is????

What is a good solid set up for a 1340. I guess with this bike, or engine, it seems that it would be best suited if you pound through the gears faster. so I would think a good ignition, something better than a .497 cam, I would think about a .003 overbore, or not, maybe different heads, depending on what a valve job on these cost to make them flow better, a CR at about 10.5:1. OF course this based primarily on what it is that I have on my Sporty.

Any Suggestions???
  7. Lucifer

A simple build to wake up an Evo would be an Andrews EV27 SE breather, 9.5:1 pistons(don't bump CR higher than that or you will be flirting with the "ping" monster)and a good set of pipes.
    If you want to wake it up and make it scream talk to a head porter and tell them what you want out of the bike and they can put a package together for you that'll put a big grin on your face. Bishops, Hillside Cycle, Larry's Motorcycle & Machine, Branch Flowmetrics, Head Quarters, Deweys Heads to name a few,they all know their chit and have proven packages that won't break the bank.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Do you the specs on that Andrews Cam? I have some experience with Bishops. I am assuming the one in Michigan?? HRK introduced me to them when I redid the engine to my Sportster. I would most likely go there.
  9. Lucifer

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/catalog/13_EV80camS.pdf

Used that cam in a Fat Boy for a guy along with Wiseco 9.5:1 pistons and rejetted, the bike pulled real nice in low and midrange.

A little tip for Evo's is let them warm up a bit before taking off, it'll help keep the base gaskets from weeping.
    If you build the engine to give it more go, don't forget to give it more stop too, upgrade the front brakes, Evo fronts are not that good.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  10. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

think it was a 07 model.

I rode a 2007 Screaming Eagle softail springer.

Got to say that is one of the best riding bikes I have ever rode.

It had a lot of power and ran very smooth.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgsE2F4xi6o
  11. Lucifer

Correction, the Wiseco's were 10:1 they don't make 9.5:1
    JB you might want to try to find a FXR or one of the Dyna's if you're looking for Sporty performance in a Big Twin. FXR's were probably the best Big Twin Harley ever made.
    I've seen guys dump a lot of money in their Softails for go fast parts and they still only saw my Sporty's tail light getting smaller. lol