1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1975 shovelhead

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by woodymaster, Jul 6, 2011.

1. woodymaster

woodymaster New Member

starter will continue to run when i take spark plugs out,and touch starter button,should the solinoid,have a problem or the plunger,or the drive or what ,any one know?
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Does it only do it when you take the plugs out? it sounds like the starter is hanging up / old age & dirt will make it stick
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

probably not the drive...but plunger or solenoid could be, solenoid rebuild kit would prolly fix it....starter shop would be better than the dealer to find one...
  4. woodymaster

woodymaster New Member

i have a feeling something in the return spring is not right
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Did you take it out /apart in the past ? if not then it could be a few different things , check as lucifer said , but also double check the spring could be just a week spring
  6. woodymaster

woodymaster New Member

i inherited the problem,when first starting it seems to labour an d then kick back
  7. Lucifer

Is the starter running on or does not seem to have enough grunt to turn it over??
    I'm not very familiar with Prestolite starters,but if it's run on check the relay and solenoid, if not enough grunt to turn the engine over, check battery, connections and solenoid.
    In the "Tech Tips" section of this forum,there are instructions on solenoid repair and wiring diagrams for your bike along with other info you might find helpful...

http://www.shovelhead.us/pics/sheets/Accel-solenoid-repair-kit.jpg
  8. Lucifer

Here's some info on Pretolite starters and troubleshooting them...
    hope it helps
    Training Manual