1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1976 sportster to buy

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by freerider8, Mar 9, 2008.

1. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

hey everyone I am looking at a 1976 sportster to buy and was wondering what the thoughts are on buying a bike that old. it needs shocks and tires but runs well according to the seller. the motor has been rebuilt from a 1000cc to 1200cc, and has 6000 miles on it. I have to look at the bike to determine the kind of shape its in physically and see if I think its worth investing any money into it. I know that until I see the bike it is hard to know whether it is worth buying, but I know that a lot of you own harley's and this would be my first one so I want to see what your thoughts are on the older models. the guy is asking 3500.00 or best offer.
    thanks for any advice you can offer.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

If it is in top shape then his asking price is not out of line. Rode one many years ago (1980-'81) and it was a tooth-rattler on the highways, but it was still fun. If it were me and I wanted a Sportster I'd probably get a later belt-drive model (1991 is first year for 1200's), as they can be found for about the same price.
  3. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

If it is really stored well, then maybe. Hop around Craigslist and compare what is out there and what this one is. I swear every now and again I would buy one of these bargains, a second and third if I had some more money. The guy I bought my bike from was hard to get a hold of and then I offered him $700 less then he was asking for a total of about 1,500 less than bluebook. I have seen some really sweet( more my style preference ) Sportsters go for $2,500 from people that were just not willing to store something that they are not using.
    So, look around first, look at this one, if you like it ok, be fair and offer a fair price.
    $3,500 seems to be about the bottom of the market today but, check the CA, SF Craigslist 02 1200S HD Sportster - $3500, there is something to be said for newer seals, and being able to stop by the dealer for parts.
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Had a old 75 Sporster 1000Cc years ago. Can't say I miss that old bike.
    But at the time it was great when I was young.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:devil:The old iron can be a lot of fun, Do you enjoy wrenchin and working on bikes? The ironheads will shake some fillings loose and a few other things too.There will be a fair amount of maintenance on it compared to the evo style sporty's. Parts will be harder to come by unless you know an indy shop that works on shovels.A dealer will give you the "deer in the headlights" look if you ask them for any parts. If its your first Harley and you want to do more riding than wrenching I'd look around for a '91 or newer Sporty with a 5 Speed, belt drive, CV carb,electronic ignition and they are a much smoother ride and easier to maintain. If you want an Old Skool Chopper then the Ironhead would be great start for that.:devil:
  6. fujimo

fujimo New Member

nova scotia

lucifer,,,spent 5 days in nova scotia two years ago,,, went thru cape breton park,,, sidney etc,,,, just absolutly great ride,,,pops
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Hey fujimo/pops,I'm in Glace Bay 13KM east of Sydney. The Cape Breton Highlands, Cabot Trail sure is a beautiful ride. They're even gonna repave some of it this year. If your ever back this way let me know,there are a few more scenic trails that doesn't get the print like the cabot trail does but are just as nice IMO.Me and a couple of my bud's would be more than happy to give a guided tour of the island.
  8. fubar

fubar New Member

hey

could be a good deal like red rider said make sure u check bottom of frame for cracks ect.. i bought mine everything seemed ok but.. threads were gone on triple trees things like that .if u can look at wire harness under headlight just be sure u check it out well for thatr price u should be able to start and run good luck brother