1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1988 FLHTP Gear Ratio

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by shovhd, Dec 31, 2008.

1. shovhd

shovhd New Member

Hi all, I just bought an 88 FLHTP and I was told that it was geared differently from civilian models. Can anyone tell me what the ratio was? Is the tranny geared differently or was it done with the primary or final drive sprockets? Is 5th still 1:1? What would I be looking at for RPM's at say 30, 60 and 80 mph?

Thanks
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

There seems to be a lot of myths about cop bikes... pretty much the only difference between yours and a FLHT civilian model is a higher output alternator an extra wiring harness for all the cop stuff and a safety switch on the clutch lever so it won't start unless the lever is pulled in. 5th gear is 1:1.

Pick up the factory service manual for an 88 FLHT (and Parts Catalog), there is also a Police supplement manual but that contains mostly electrical diagrams for the extra Police wiring,and it refers you the Factory Service manual for all else,like engine, chassis and drive components.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009