1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1996 Dyna

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by raa883, Jun 15, 2010.

1. raa883

raa883 New Member

I have a chance to buy a 1996 dyna in great shape. i presently have a 1200 sportster. i want the dyna to give me a little more range an d comfort for longer rides. Is there anything to watch out for when buying one of these bikes. thanks
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

clear title, tires, mileage, maintenance records,.......a lot of stuff. do you have access to someone to take with you to help evaluate the bike??
  3. raa883

raa883 New Member

Yes, I have someone who can help me assess it. The owner says it has 4000 original miles. I was interested in hearing comments on the engine. I believe it is 80 cubic inch vs. its modern counterpart which is 96 cubic inches. It is a Dyna FXR.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

FXR's are very good handling HD's one of the better models and the bike you are looking at has the EVO or Evolution engine, 80 CUI, 5 speed, a good solid model.

Because of it's age, I'd be wary of tire rot, you may be in need of replacing the rubber, also how long it sat, battery, gas in tank, did he put stabil in the gas, will the carb need cleaning, how long has the oil been in the bike, open the tank and smell, if it's varnish, it's bad gas, and you know the carb will need a going through, check the oil, trans and engine.

It's going to have about 45 to 50 HP but it should move pretty good it's a light bike compared to the baggers..
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

If I didn't have a Road King, I'd have a Dyna. I like their suspension much better than the Softails' limited one. The aftermarket for it is not as great as for the Softails, but there is still plenty that you could do to make it a great long-rider and that Evo engine is well supported in the aftermarket. With only 4000 miles on it, you may be looking at a bike that was wrecked early and put up out of rider fear - so pay close attention to the frame at any weld points that you can see. I'd definitely want to test ride before buying, unless the price is so cheap that the parts are worth the buy. And like was said before, make darn sure it has a clear title.

Good luck!
  6. raa883

raa883 New Member

All great points. Thanks. It has new rubber. The mileage does seem low. Hate to think it was a garage queen.
  7. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I just test rode a 99 Super Glide the other week, and I have to say that was impressed with the ride, and the overall condition of the bike. The one thing that you may find, as I did, especially since you and I both have Sportsters is that the acceleration is a lot weaker than what it is on a Sportster. At least I thought that. Other than that and the braking, I think that you will enjoy a Dyna.
  8. raa883

raa883 New Member

Thanks for all the responses. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this ride. My wife kindly consented to let me keep the Sportster and buy the Dyna. I think she wants to learn how to ride. Heaven help us!
  9. hotroadking

You'll be surprised to find if she's "height challenged" that the bigger heavier dyna will probably fit her better than your sporty...
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

they balance so much better than a Sporty, to me a Sporty is not for a beginer.
  11. more power

more power New Member

I agree. I don't know why they say a sporty is a beginners bike with the high center and all.
  12. steveb

steveb Active Member

I had a '05 Dyna before I bought the bagger and I loved that bike .It just was not as comfortable for my wife to ride on so she made me upgrade to an Ultra Classic.
  13. hotroadking

Poor guy that must have been a really upsetting day for you....:p
  14. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

I really like my '03 Dyna Super Glide Sport. I have a friend with a '93 Wide Glide, the smoothest bike I've ever ridden. Super slick tranny, no engine vibes that you can feel. Going down the road at 60mph, if you didn't feel the wind you could think your parked setting on the jiffy stand.
    Nothing like his '74 FXE. 93 inch Shovel head, upside down 4 speed. What a beast.
  15. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey that is a compliment, THANK YOU! :D
  16. raa883

raa883 New Member

Just followup and thank all for their replies: I ended up buying a softail, standard. The bike has 7400 miles and tons of aftermarket parts. It has the 88 b injected motor. I really like the ride. My question is how big a tire can I put on the back? The stock harley Dunlop has about one summer's worth of riding left and seems awfully thin for the size of the bike.
  17. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

18. raa883

raa883 New Member

sorry: 2001.
  19. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Congrates on your new bike. You can add a 150 (next size up from stock) without any modifications, just check to make sure your belt guard clears the sidewall of the tire. The 150 is a bit beefier and they won’t rip your lips off when you by it. Anything wider and you’ll have to get a new rim and may have to change some other things for clearances. JMO
  20. hotroadking

What model, Fatboy, Heritage, Deuce?