1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1999 FLHR Upgrade - Dyno Results

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Red Rider, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Just wanted to pass on what a significant improvement I've got from the stock, California-emmissions choked base I started with to the mildly modded TC88 it is today.

As a disclaimer - though the info I am (slowly) typing is true, I am on painkillers and Glenmorangie single malt, so .... uh, forgot the point.

But anyway:

Dyno run conditions(final run):
    86.29F 25.64in-Hg, Humidity 9%, 4498ft Alt

Started with

40MM CV H-D/Keihin carb with Dynojet/thunderslide (tuned for sea-level)
    H-D Teadrop/K&N Air Cleaner
    CA Emmisions crap (more than I knew was there until I ripped it out)
    SE Slash cut slip-ons on stock dual pipes
    Autotensioned cam chain
    - the #'s
    - Max HP = 62.8
    - Max Torque = 69.6

The changes:

.510 S&S Gear drive cam (with the gear drive, too - duh!)
    V-H Pro HS pipe
    De-Californicated emissions
    Dyno-Tuned but de-Dynojetted 40MM CVH-D Keihin Carb (5500ft altitude)

The New #'s
    - Max HP = 80.12
    - Max Torque = 91.23

Also, the friggin powerband - though really not bad before - is now MUCH broader and more usefull. Too lazy to transcribe those #'s - but trust me, WOW!

On Dr's advice, I'm s'posed to wait 2 more weeks before subejecting my spine to the stress of riding (and my Dr rides a H-D Heritage ST, so I know he knows WTF). Then I'll take it to our nearby lonely highway and see just how fast she goes now.

Ok, so WTF is so important? What did I learn?

A-Number-1 = get rid of a chain drive cam ASAP. Chain-driven cam is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen that also ROBS about 4-6 HP. Why did H-D put it in originally? EPA noise police - like anyone has ever turned to ya and said "I sure wish that dang'd biker had a quiet cam chain!" - f'in bureaucrats!

2. For cruising best performance, nothing beats a good 2-1 set of pipes on a V-twin. NOTHING. Everything else is show pony.

3. CV carbs "git-r-done" better than we are trained to believe, especially if you aren't a lowlander.

When I get a cahnce to put some miles on Ol' Red I'll pass the mpg improvements. My first assesment is that will be much better, too, as she was on Reserve since midway throught the tune and stiil running....
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thanks for that red.....really good info. hope ya healin up good, cause it sounds like ya need to do some serious riding!!!!!
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Nice upgrade Red, that ought to make a nice difference in the seat of your pants riding. Get well soon so you can get out there and ride! Thanks for the info. :D