1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1999 Halrey 883 Hugger Hot Oil

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Doc1953, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Doc1953

Doc1953 New Member

The oil reservior on my daughter's 199 883 Hugger gets VERY hot when she rides. MY wife has a newer 883 Low and the oil reservior does not get nearly as hot. What might be causing the oil to get so hot on the Hugger? We just bought the bike used and I am not sure when the oil was last changed. Will something as simple as an oil change make a difference.

Doc:rant:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it wont hurt to change the oil and filter
    do you know any history about the bike???? what type of work has been done on it??????:)
  3. Doc1953

Doc1953 New Member

Hot Oil in 1999 Harley Hugger

The bike is pretty much straight stock, but was not ridden much by either of the previous owners (the bike only had 6,500 miles on it when we bought it). I am actually taking it in today for the oil change and filter replacement. Thanks!

Doc:)
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Doc check into putting some synthetic oil in it , & have them double check the timeing , the oil willhelp a little bit in cooling
  5. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

might be a good idea to get a dip stick with a temp gauge. i don't recommend one of those electronic ones. just a regular olde fashion one. that way you know just how hot, hot really is:devil:
  6. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

oil weight might just be to light. Mine gets hot also, you can't say what's normal without a gage, but since it's a air cooled system it's gonna get hot.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

another thing to consider is how the pipes run and location of them in relation to the seat/oil bag.....also compare the two bikes side by side. are the pipes closer on the hugger than the other one??? seat lower???? the closer to the heat the more you will feel it.....also, same type exhaust shields??? or no shields......when you compare, make sure it is apples to apples..........:)
  8. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

come to think of it now, my back thiegh sits right over mine, can actually feel the cap, but no heat
  9. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Absolutely & the 883 "Hugger" is different from the newer 883 "Low" model in several respects. The exhaust pipes do stick out farther on the newer model (different frame & rubber-mounted engine) & the exhaust crossover pipe is not right there in plain view underneath the carb like it is on the earlier model.

The top of the oil tank cap/dipstick also sticks out from the tank on the earlier model, while the newer one's cap is flush-mounted with the tank. I've got the older models & use a cap/dipstick with an analog gauge in the cap (kinda looks like a cooking thermometer) & the advice not to get the digital one is good, as the digital ones are often way off (stick the dipstick part in a pot of boiling water & see what it reads). But the top of the older model's oil cap is pretty darn close to your right thigh & you can often feel the heat from that & the tank.

My bikes normally run 160-180 degrees oil-temp which is great, but that's pretty "toasty" on your leg, so might want to check seating position. And with the good analog gauge, if you see oil-temps over 200 degrees for any length of time, you've got a problem. Which is most often associated with running too lean & assuming the Hugger is stock, it is.