1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

1k mi service (i need a drink)

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by mad max, Mar 4, 2006.

1. mad max

mad max New Member

:mad: went to my selling dealer for my 1k service yesterday....this "mortar corker"hits me with a 275.00 plus disposal fee,shop fee, ect..$327.66 total.for oil a filter a air filter and a road test?he says that my warranty could be at risk if i didnt do it,im no idiot i said "have you heard of the magnuson act"? then he says "i mean it could probably maybe be an issue for you later if you dont.then he offers me a 15% disc. on the total bill ,i booked out of there!i went to another dealer bought me some syn3 oil and a filter, changed my own oil.$43.79 total.and im still test drivin it daily ;) .so fellow bro's am i missing anything?like rotating the air in my tires?. dont wanna miss anything>
  2. scooter

scooter New Member

They ain't touchin' mine. I will do my own work until I can't. Then again, I got the service manual and the tools...so I should be set pretty well.

scoot
  3. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

What ever you do, in order to NOT void your warrenty, DO NOT forget to change the air in your tires from winter storage air to summer driving air.... This one little thing could REALLY cause you problems down the line! ;) you may also want to double check the muffeler bearings...don't think you know if you have a radio or not, but may want to check the squelch greese if you do!! ;) Hope this helps! or doesn't!!! :D
  4. stevenh

stevenh New Member

I'm with you guys. I can't stand even bringing my car in for service and I was a mechanic for almost 25 years.
    Another thing is, you're at the mercy of whichever mechanic works on your machine. While there are very good honest techs out there, seems like every shop has at least one that tries to cut corners or charge for their mistakes as if it was already broken when you brought it in.
    It's too bad for the good mechanics because it gives them a bad name. It's a thankless job and the tools they have to buy are way too expensive.
    I once witnessed a mechanic replace a 350 Chevy motor only to have the new motor not spin. Turns out the alternator was seized and with the serpentine belts used nowadays even a big block 427 won't spin over when this happens.
    The mechanic added a new alternator to the repair. He was too proud and arrogant to admit he screwed up. All the rest of us knew about this problem because it was a common occurrence with the alternator bearings going kaput. The engine that was replaced spun just fine when the alternator was off it.
    Sorry to get off subject. I know, it's too many words to read.
  5. rk6n927hd

rk6n927hd New Member

$65. PER/HR? I'll change my own oil.
    You get to know your own bike by workin on it and who cares more for your ride than you?
  6. Oscar Softluxe

Oscar Softluxe New Member

Will it not void the warranty if you don't have any record to the dealer? I was planning to have my 1K service at the dealer just to have a record. Mine has 875 miles on it. Will it be better to do it by myself? This is my Very first bike and don't want to ruin it..
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

im not sure about other dealers, but the one i use in beaumont tx....cowboy harley...seems to be up front. i had them do my 1000k on my ec. when i bought the bike i was introduced to the tech in the shop. we discussed the services they provide and he picked up on the fact that i have wrenched and rebuilt my own rides for quite a while.....more than 40 yrs.....anyway, i was able to watch my service being done, and maybe because they figured they could not pull wool over my eyes they did a good job. they checked everything that they were supposed to and a bit extra. i was told that if i kept my own records, that harley could not void warranty service, as long as the machine did not show signs of abuse or misuse. im sure that dealers try to get the most out of a customer, and are a bit unscrupulious about it. if you are a bit mechanically inclined, do the work your self....if in doubt....pick who does your work carefully....ask around and do the research.....
    chuck
  8. vicrider

vicrider New Member

keep the receipt

If you keep a record of the oil and filter purcheses you will have a record of the services. This will cover you if there is a warranty problem down the road. If they demand that you use them for service to mantain your warranty then they must offer you the service at no charge. At least that is how I understand it. And if I remember right it was Volvo that got sued and lost on this issue? Cost them big bucks! So the next time that you are told that let them know that under fedral law if you must perform the maintinence there to keep the warrenty intact then feel free to get to work and don't bill you for what they owe you!
  9. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

The subject of,( If we don't do your service work it will void out your warrenty). Is a bunch of bull****. If you buy a new bike and the dealership threatens you with this line tell him you want to see it in writing from the factory. I guarantee he will not be able to produce it in writing from the factory. I have always done my own Harley work from top end to pushrods to cams etc. The key is to buy the factory service manual. This book will walk you thru every step from oil changes to complete rebuilds. All it takes is a few tools and a little step past that mind set of "can I do this?" Once you take your time and do it for the first time, You will look back and say, "This is tooooo easy, and the Harley service dept is charging me an arm and leg to do this?" It is very easy to service a bike. And don't worry about them saying "it will void out your warrenty". Because it won't. They say this to bluff you into getting all of your hard earned cash. And do they really do all the greasing of zerks, oiling cables, checking wheel bearings? You never know until you do it yourself. Over the past 22 years of riding street bikes, I could type for days and days telling you about the "oops" that service departments have made. Now this is not to say that all service departments are doing the "oops". Most are upfront and honest. But are you willing to take that chance going 100mph down the interstate, hoping that the dealership didn't forget to fill your primary case with oil after servicing your bike? (True story, this happened to a riding friend of mine, he got 300miles on it before if blew up). Like I say, if you service your bike, I'm sure you won't forget to oil up the primary. Ride Safe, David.
  10. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

1K Service

You are obviously being taken advantage of by your dealership. You can expect to be charged 3 hours of labor for a full 1K service. There's a lot of work to do the service properly an to do the job right a good mechanic will beat the flat rate, but not by much. The things that take the time are getting to all of the critical fastners to make sure they are tight (torqued) and doing the stearing head adjustment. If you look at the service manual there is more to do on a 1K than is done on a 5K. There's much more than rotating the seasonal air in your tires. If your mechanic is good you are getting a deal at $290. If the only thing that the dealer wants is speed, you are getting screwed. I know, I do this for a living and still treat every bike like it was my own because I was on the other side of the fence and piss poor service is the reason I got the training and changed careers.
  11. kamakazi

kamakazi New Member

It's nice to see that someone else knows the "magnuson-moss act". Not too many people know about this and get screwed, blued, and tattooed every frecken day! Did you know that syn3 is a low grade group III base oil but does in fact protect better than the 360 oil. Group III oils are one step below an actual pure synthetic base and is much, much cheaper to make. The tests between group III and pure synthetics are very marginal, but be careful, there are group III's out there that just meets the standards but you are still paying high $ for them. Mobil one came in pretty high, just below Amsoil. Though I would share my findings with you all... Oh yea, 15w50 works great too on our bikes depending on your climate...
  12. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Good mechanics and good day care centers....

Problem is finding a good tech. Just like putting your kids in a day care center..some are AAA+++ great and some are creeps. And I am hesitant to leave either of my babies with an unknown.
  13. steveb

steveb Active Member

warranty

When I purchased my bike I asked about doing my own oil changes and I was told by my dealer it would not affect my warranty. Up in Minnesota thay try to sell a service package with the bike so it was discussed quite a bit before the purchase.
  14. halln

halln New Member

I took my Fat boy in for its 1000 mile service,but I did the last two services on mine,however I am going to have my bike's computer upgraded to my new exhaust ,and while its there I'm going to have the 10,000 mile service check done,I am a bit lucky for the fact that my cousin is the sales manager for the dealership,and the service techs know it so I am comfortable that they will do the job right. However for a simple service I refuse to pay the dealers cost for that,If you are capable of replacing the oils and filter and cleaning your air filter,checking tightness of your critical bolts,and just taking a good look around you will save a ton over the life of your bike. Stuff like brake pads,clutch adjustments are easy and pretty basic ,untill you add the shop time ,so if you can or know someone who can you'll save a bunch there also. And if there are any small private bike shops in your area check with them for tires ,I replaced my rear with the oem tire from a small bike shop in my home town ,got the same tire the HD dealer would have given me but the bill was 136.00 cheaper then the dealers estimate. Sorry I'm rambling,hope it helped
  15. mad max

mad max New Member

1k service a joke

it looks like i started a new trend , all my buddies are callin me for service .looks like i can start my own business, i never realized how confused riders are concerning their service. (no help from the dealer) though i will never get rich changin oil and torq'in bolts it makes for a great hangout in my garage for me and my buddies
  16. h82quit

h82quit New Member

a little in sight bro

you need to have verafication i.e. paper work backing up that you hade the service done if you did it yourself save your reciepts dated and miles hd is a rip off on any repairs basic or major im a tech 25+yrs
  17. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

It's Called A Pcmp, Plan They Hit U Up With. I Got It And I Have To Say I'm Satisfied. I Would Much Rather Wrench Myself, But It's Sure Nice To Go Get The Service And See The Bill And Not Have To Fork Out The Cash. In Reality I Already Paid.
  18. dinosdeuce

dinosdeuce New Member

I use a spread sheet with the checks listed in the service manual. I put the date and what it calls for, replace/change or inpect. I then save it and that is what i use for proof of service. It is almost like th sheet the stealer gives you.

Dino