1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2001 Fxdl Clutch

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by johndublu, Aug 12, 2005.

1. johndublu

johndublu New Member

WHEN i SHIFT DOWN AND WHEN i AM DRIVING SLOW THE BIKE JERKS AND A NOISE COMING FROM THE LOW MOTOR OR PRIMARY.
    There is a noise like a wineing noise at idle and a little above that. I just purchassed this bike it has 5400 on it. It is a 2001 FXDL. T bike was purchassed from a used bike dealer. This wineing noise sounds like it could be in the primary. The fluid was full but I will replace it with new synthetic 10 30 is that ok? Well back to this problem. When just above idle the bike wines and shakes violently and will also do this shaking when shifting down at no throttle when just shifting down. I will take off the primary and start there.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  2. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Jerk ?

Hey johndublu, more information is needed. When did the noise start?
    How slow are you riding? What gear are you in?
    Is the clutch in or out when the event is happing?
    Have you had any work done on it lately?
    What year/modelis it?
    How many miles are on it?
    Are you dumping the cluch ? I would start at the primary, pull the cover off and check chain,clutch and all sprockets.
    Good luck. :confused:
  3. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Also

johndublu you might want to put this in the Tech-help forum.
  4. johndublu

johndublu New Member

Clutch UR H

This is a 2001 FXDL with 5200 miles on it. I bought it from a used motorcycke dealer. The bike makes a wineing sound and shakes violently when shifting down at low speeds. When I pull the clutch in the shaking stops, but the wineing noise continues.
    I don't know if it could be in the motor but it had like 150 PSI in each cylinder. The plugs are dry and it isn't burning oil and is powerful.
    I will take off the primary like you said and see whats going on inside. Could the compensator sproket cause this? I just got this and need to get a manual.
    Thank you for what ever help you can give me,
  5. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Noise

You said you JUST got this from a used cycle dealer. I would take it to where-ever I purchased at and tell them about it, but then, that’s just me.

YES a manual is the best tool anyone can invest in.

When you pull in the clutch you separate the engine from the trans (almost) and thus you can usually eliminate one or the other.

At 5200 miles I doubt it is the trans. I would definitely check the primary chain, compensating sprocket, clutch basket for defects, don’t miss the rivets on the clutch basket.
    Good luck.