1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2002 DWG Running Rough

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hrd Rider, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

My son recently had his 2002 DWG in for 10K Service. Bike ran fine prior to having 10K Service performed. Now it is really running rough, backfiring, spitting and sputtering etc. He lives in Hawaii where temperatures stay pretty much the same. The bike is carbuerated. At about the same time Hawaiian Gas Stations all went to a 10 percent ethanol/gas mixture. Would the transition from gas to ethanol/gas mixture cause the problem, and could re-jetting the carbuerator cure the problem? I have had to use ethanol/gas out west in two of my bikes, both EFI and have not had any such problems. Any ideas. John
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

I have worked on a few ATVs with CV carbs and I know some manufacturers do not recommend ethanol because it will make the rubber and plastic parts in the carb brittle but that usually takes some time. Ethanol is a cleaner my guess is that you had some gas deposits(varnish) in the tank or carb and now the ethanol has cleaned it out or dissolved some of it. Some of the deposits may be resstricting a jet or air passage. You can run it a while and it might come out of it if the varnish isnt to severe otherwise you might have to pull the carb off and clean it.
  3. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like a possible cause to his problem.
    John