1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2003 FXST out of storage

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by JustDennis, Jun 14, 2012.

1. JustDennis

JustDennis New Member

Hello all. I just bought a new to me 2003 FXST. The bike was purchased by a friend at work in 2009 who had never ridden. I told him he should take some training like the MSF course before riding. He didn't and ended a 10 foot first ride by hitting the center column in his 2 car garage. Long story short, he crushed the headlight and tweaked the front forks. I picked the bike up, repaired it and took it back home. He said he would take the course but never did.

Fast forward till now, he asked me if I would get the bike running again so he could sell it. I made him an offer "as-is" and he told me to come pick it up. It hadn't moved from where it was before. Took it home drained the gas, replaced battery, spark plugs, gas cap and fixed some shorts. Hit the button and it started right up. I rode it for a few days and it would hesitate, surge, sputter one day and then run Ok the next. I knew it was probably something in the carb and had no idea how it was jetted.

I used CVP products before so I just ordered the Stage 1 Tuners Kit with the EZjustment mixture screw. While I was waiting for it to arrived, I went ahead and removed the carb and cleaned the passages and checked the jet. It had a 50 pilot jet and 190 main jet. The mixture screw plug had not been removed??

Once the CVP kit came in, I replaced the pilot jet with a 48 and the main jet with a 195 as specified in the kit. Also replaced the mixture screw, spring and needle. Setup the carb us as described and re installed. Made sure to reseat the intake gasket and add a little spark plug grease to insure good seal. It seems to be running great so far!

No questions at this point but I did want to stay that the CVP kit saved me a lot of time and headaches by having all the matched pieces to redo the carb. I used these products on my old 1996 Road King and was satisfied, so I just started here first.

Ride Safe,

JustDennis

1980 FXWG, 2003 FXST and 2008 FLHT
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Good for you, those finds are best,
  3. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Welcome Stay with us. Had a '05 fxst myself.Nice bike
  4. JustDennis

JustDennis New Member

Thanks. Just found the forum when I ordered the CVP kit. I am an active member on another forum but this one caught my eye. I was just looking at the tuning section. I have been a Beta tester for DynoJet on their newest Power Vision tuner and really enjoyed doing my own tuning with Wideband sensors and the PV. Thanks for the welcome.