1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2005 883xl low carb farts

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by smittyflhx, Mar 14, 2009.

1. smittyflhx

smittyflhx New Member

OK, for christmas bought the wife a 2005 883xl low
    with 317 miles on it.all stock
    we added hooker troublemakers exhaust baffels out , arlin ness big sucker A/C,
    I rejetted cv carb to a 180 main and a 46 slow, the mixture screw is out about 2.5 to 3 turns ,the bike runs great except for carb farts and slight hesitation at take off sometimes not always.
    I was thinking of buying the CVP Velocity Needle.and spring .
    will this cure her carb farts? the plugs look good.
  2. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Just so you know. I did some jetting and pipe modifications on an 883 custom 05. It worked best leaving the stock slow jet. I believe that it was a 42. I got a carb jet kit for 39.99. I drilled out the hole in top of the slide and kept the factory needle and used a yellow spring that came with the kit. You mess with to many needle changes and it will kill fuel mileage. FYI removed the baffles will kill your mid-range torque.

Kevin
  3. hawthorneius

hawthorneius New Member

hey there, i just thought id get in on this a little bit. i have an 05 883c, that i installed a dynojet kt on about 2 years ago. 180 main, 45 pilot. ran good until lately. it is now backfiring and sputtering, and dies after it comes down to ide. today, i put the factory main jet 170 and the factory emulsion tube in as well. along with the factory spring too. NO DIFFERENCE. i was told the crank position senor will cause these carb type problems to occur. i have thrown a new set of plugs on , since all this started, and there wasnt any change. i have also replaced the intake seals, checked after installation and had no leaks, the bike is sealed up tight. i didnt change my pilot from 45, my reasoning being that when i apply the throttle the engine lopes or acts like its missing, even after i changed the main jet and emul tube....so im thinking this culprit is the crank position sensor and has been since the beginning.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if you go to the top of this site, click on "faq"....you will find a lot of good info on carbs and aircleaners.........