1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2005 FLHTC fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by mtlakehog, Aug 8, 2008.

1. mtlakehog

mtlakehog New Member

Hi guys. New to Harley and to this forum. I sure y'all have had this question before, but here it is. Just bought an '05 E-Glide Classic. V & H's true duals, I'm not sure what has been done to the carb. First tank of high test and it got 33 mpg. I blamed it on the fuel, so next tank I got 35 mpg riding the speedlimit, no fast starts or high rpm's. Pipes are a little discolored. Took it to the local Harley shade tree guy that all my friends take there bikes. He checked the carb, said the float was off a little. Told me the bike came from NC. and that the emolsion tube was wrong for the mountains where I live.
    Have any of you guys ever heard of this??
    Thanks
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

welcome to the forum............
    questions.....
    what do the plugs look like..
    what airfilter do you have installed..
    what type of baffeling in the exhaust...
    what are the jet sizes in the carb...
    what carb is on the bike.....
    let us know...................:)
  3. mtlakehog

mtlakehog New Member

The plugs looked ok, airfilter and carb are stock, not sure what jets are in the carb, and the baffles are in the exhaust. Just seems to me the thing should get better mileage with the way I'm riding?!?
  4. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

That is why Chuck is asking....all those things can affect the MPG. Stock air filter/stock mufflers/stock carb, high gas milage due to running lean....any changes made will affect.......until brought together with the appropriate tuning..... The V&H often have different baffels in them that will also make a difference. The more info that is available, better able to determine if what you are getting is all you will get!
  5. mtlakehog

mtlakehog New Member

Hey guy, checked the jets in the carb. Main is a 180, slow is a 45. Pulled the plugs also, they are some what black(I've seen worse but I've also seen better) Not sure on the baffels in the exhaust. Jet holder/emulsion tube has only 2 holes.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Carb tuning takes a bit of patience.

NC has mountians, just as high as VA, same for the valley area.

Similar areas and the bike probably should be tuned close to the same for both.

The old (you can't run a carb in the mountians like you can in the valley stuff) is BS usually the carb in the valley is tuned way rich so it runs like crap up in the mountains more so because of the thin are.

Think about it, if you are rich at sea level and then go up in the mountians you're super rich, it's not the carb it's the tuning, especially with the CV (Stock) carb.

In one of the bike rags on the counter Joe Minton has a great tuning section on how to tune a carb, basically pretty easy to do.

You need to make simple changed and do it one at a time,

First, see if the cap is off the AFR screw turn it in easy and back out 2.5 turns, start the bike warm it up and then set the idle screw to hold rpm at 1500 or so. Then turn in the screw until the bike starts to stall (rpm change) count the turns, do the same thing going out. Half way is the correct Idle air screw setting, Turn it off and then turn the screw back in, counting turns, you should be about 2.5, if it's more or less you need to change the pilot jet.

My guess is the 45 might be a bit rich, I would get a 42.
    The 180 isn't a big issue because it only comes into play at WOT
    During 20 to 80% throttle the needle jet is the key (Needle coming down)
    Best needle is the Sporty Needle and someone here has that N9XXX number
    you can shim it up or down using #10 brass washers, up to richen, down to lean.

Or take it to a shop that knows what they are doing and let them tune the carb. 33 tells me for the way you are riding on a stock 88 unless you have 200 pounds of crap in the bags and a big ol gal on the back, you're rich.
  7. mtlakehog

mtlakehog New Member

hotroadking thanks!!
    I ordered a 42 pilot jet and a emulsion tube this morning.
    My biggest question is about the emulsion tube/jet holder only having 2 small holes. What I was told was that the jet holder was not right for the mountains.
    I'm going to try the new jet holder and put in the 180 main and the 42 pilot jets and start from there.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Just change the pilot jet first, do nothing else, you could make it worse and you won't know if it's the 42 or the tube.

one thing at a time, yeah it's a PIA but one thing at a time assures you can't screw everything up.

be sure the idle air screw cap is off (bottom back of carb) so you can set that mix, and be gentle turning in don't crank it down or it will fubar the carb body.
  9. mtlakehog

mtlakehog New Member

hotroadking,
    Do you know what the difference is in the jet holders? Would the one with only 2 holes be for a different area?
  10. mtlakehog

mtlakehog New Member

Hey guys, worked on my bike Friday night. Was going on a shake down run this morning to see how the bike was running and got in a wreck that involved 6 cars 1 bike(me) and an 18 wheeler. Was sitting still in backed up traffic when the big rig didn't get stopped in time. I was the last one in the chain reaction. Tried to get out of the way, but wasn't fast enough. Bike is fixable, and I'm not hurt much more than a little road rash.
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

MT thats sucks , at least your alright was your bike running any better before the wreck?
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

bad scene!!!!!!!!! glad your ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  13. mtlakehog

mtlakehog New Member

Bike was running better, I was going to ride it and then check the plugs. Seems like the bike's throttle responce was a lot better. Guess now I'll have to wait for a while to ride it again.
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

MT just make sure they do a real good job on the repairs , like double check to make sure the frame is stright , & anythink else you can think of
  15. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

So sorry to hear about your accident. Since you'll need repairs, perhaps the dealer/repair shop can include the tuning you needed as part of the repair and you can charge the insurance company.

For bruises, look in any health food type store, and ask for ARNICA cream. It costs about 6 bucks and trust me on this, it will be some of the best money you'll ever spend. Put it on sprained and sore muscles, and even by the next day you'll notice an improvement. Put it on a bruise, leaving a small portion alone, and in a day or two, one side will be almost healed and the other, still black and blue. It's a natural product and the best brand if they have it is NELSONS.

Good luck, ride safe.
  16. mtlakehog

mtlakehog New Member

Thanks guys, took pictures of everything I could see that had rash or was broken. The bike is going to the local HD shop Tuesday for inspection and repair. I'm going to get them to make sure the frame and the front forks are ok!! I'll find out in a couple of days what all needs repaired and when I'll get the bike back.
  17. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I don't know if they're related, but I've gotten WAYYYYY better mileage since HD replaced my ignition module. Perhaps the mechanic gave something else a little tweak while in the shop (he's a great guy, loves Sporty's and is friendly to me).
  18. FLHTCUI05

FLHTCUI05 New Member

I have an 05 Ultra with big bore kit, 203 cams, Screaming Eagle mufflers, PCIII USB and get 40-42 mpg. Was getting 50 mpg before the big bore and cams.
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That really sucks, glad you were not behind those cars and hit by the semi truck. Hope you and the bike heal well.
  20. mtlakehog

mtlakehog New Member

Thanks!!
    Bike left for the local HD shop this morning.
    The pic shows me with an officer after I got the bike on it's tires. I didn't move the bike, just set it up right, so thats how close it was.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008