1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2005 FLHTCUI Horsepower/Torque

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hrd Rider, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

I have a 2005 FLHTCUI with the following installed: PC, K&N Hi Flo Air Filter and a Rinehart Tru Dual Exhaust System. The bike has been Dyno Tuned at the dealership. After they finally got rid of the horrendous backfiring upon deceleration, these are the Torque/HP readings they came up with. The HP is 70.2, Torque 75.6 ft.lbs, I feel that for the money invested these readings are low. Also running speeds of 65--75 mph I am averaging 38 mpg on gas mileage. Are the HP/TQ readings too low and secondly what can I expect for gas mileage at the speeds mentioned. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone with a similar FLHTCUI setup or any of you technical guys out there.
    Thanks.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  2. Johnny O.

Johnny O. New Member

The HP/TQ no. sound good to me but 38 mpg sounds low. I have heard about some people losing mileage and they went back to the computer and did their own adjusting in some cells. They take away fuel so they can run as lean as possible and still not have any popping on deceleration or flat spots. I’m not a PC guru so maybe someone with more experience can help you out with more details. Hope this helps.
    Johnny O.
  3. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

2005 Flhtcui

Thanks for your feedback Johnny O, however I'm very skeptical of some of the dealerships so called experts on Power Commander /Dyno Tuning. I had my bike back twice to get rid of the backfiring and now that that problem is cured I don' t want to go thru that again, at least until I can find a tech who relly knows how to tweek up a PC. I failed to mention on my post that the Air/Fuel Ratio was 13.8 and fairly consistant thru complete RPM Range 100 to 5500 Rpm's
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  4. evomike

evomike New Member

I have an '03 Electra with the same equipment except a HD high flow kit. I was having similar backfiring/popping problems when I rolled the throttle at a complete stop. The local HD shop [No. Colorado @ 5,000 ft] set up a new dyno machine last winter designed for tuning with a PC unit. Had it tuned the end of May shortly after they had the tuning software reworked. Under load was getting 62/72 and improved to 70/80. Got rid of the complete stop problem but still there when I backoff the throttle or holdback on a downhill. Put 1200 mi. on over Memorial weekend, north of Denver to Santa Fe, and got 42 to 44 mpg riding two-up with gear cruising 80 mph with an after-market cruise control.
  5. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

Thanks for the feedback Evo Mike,your mileage was really great especially riding two up. My concern on terrible gas mileage is my son and I are taking a 6200 mile trip from East Coast up into Alberta and BC. At 38 mpg I'll be fueling up every 160 miles, that is if a gas station is available, if not a lot sooner. Dealership got rid of backfiring when I rolled off the throttle by enrichening the fuel at zero throttle. I'm not sure what that means but I think that may have contributed to my lower gas mileage.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

They may have fattened up all the cells to help cure a lean condition with your combination, or maybe you have an air leak around the intake.

Have them check for intake leaks and exhaust leaks make sure everything is in order mechanically.

If they find an intake leak they should fix it and then remap.
  7. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

Thanks for the suggestion Hot Rod King. Wil have Dealers Service Dept. check for air leaks. I'm ready to try just about anyting to get a gas mileage increase.
    John
  8. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

you're going from the east coast to Alberta and BC? Are you riding on the American side ..route 2 or the Trans Canada. I don't know where you're from but the gas is quite spendy north of the 49TH. Alberta is pretty flat untill you get in the foothills, the real riding is in BC. 38 MPG seems a little low but not excessively. I'm trying to do the metric conversion as I usually get about 270 k before the fuel light comes on. I have a 95 inch motor SE air cleaner and stock pipes. A friend of mine has a 88 inch carbed E-G ,pro pipe, jet kit se air cleaner . He doesn't go much past 240. bike makes good power though although it's jetted a bit fat. If you're not happy get it right.
  9. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

Travel

I live in Central,Md, will be traveling on American side, turnpikes to I80-I90,then North Rt 93, Glacier NP to Jasper. Will travel short distance on Trans-Canadian Hwy as will be stopping in Calgary one night. I don't have the metric conversion close by either Sleepy so when I convert I can compare it to my mileage. Thanks, John
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

This ain't technical

Interstates...mmm, great for making time.. I'll be ripping down I-15 in early sept to get to Las Vegas then off to Alpine. I don't know how much time you have but I'd go over the "Going to the Sun Road" in Glacier. I think you can ride north to Canada thru Kalispell/Whitefish..Flathead Lake area is nice and then you can take Hiway 3 back towards Calgary and then 22 north and it'll save you some time and the ride's a little nicer. If you have any questions on some of the riding up this way shoot me an email. Another tip, the weather here is very very unpredictable..at any time of year
  11. Hrd Rider

Hrd Rider New Member

We will be going thru Kalispell and on over the "Going To The Sun Road" and over Logan Pass. When we return we drop down thru High River to I15, Butte to Buffalo,WY, down I 25 to Cheyenne, then I 80 and home. It is a 6200 mile trip. Gas mileage still is my main concern. Thanks Sleepy, John